FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

5E Absorb Effect

An extension for 5E that adds two new Effects that can be applied to the Combat Tracker. The new effect implements the Damage Absorption trait that some monsters have like the flesh golems Lightning Absorption trait or the Iron Golems Fire Absorption trait. Typically any creature with an Absorption trait will also be immune to that damage type.

Available on the Forge
    https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/345/view

New Effects
    ABSORB: damagetype This effect will trigger whenever the creature receives damage of the specified damage types. You can include multiple damage types in a list separated by a comma. When damage of the specified type is received, the creature will instead be healed for that amount.
    ABSORB2: damagetype Same as ABSORB except only heals half the damage taken rounded down.
    Example
    Creatures
    Iron Golem - ABSORB: fire
    Flesh Golem - ABSORB: lightning
    Clay Golem - ABSORB: acid
    Items
    Black Dragon Mask - ABSORB2: acid
    Green Dragon Mask - ABSORB2: poison
    Blue Dragon Mask - ABSORB2: lightning
    Red Dragon Mask - ABSORB2: fire
    White Dragon Mask - ABSORB2: cold
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

This extension 'conflicts' with Kent's Spell Resistance as this adds 'spell' to damage type
    UTC +2
    Italian DM
    Italian/English Player

Quote Originally Posted by Drogo210 View Post
    This extension 'conflicts' with Kent's Spell Resistance as this adds 'spell' to damage type
    Can you be more specific in how this extension conflicts? Describe an actual situation where the conflict can be demonstrated? This extension does not add any new damage types. All it does is look for an ABSORB effect when damage is taken.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    Can you be more specific in how this extension conflicts? Describe an actual situation where the conflict can be demonstrated? This extension does not add any new damage types. All it does is look for an ABSORB effect when damage is taken.
    Sure, Spell Resistance adds 'spell' to the type of damage for magical attacks then Fire Bolt for example would look like 1d10 fire, spell. It seems that ABSORB does not like double damage type (fire, spell) and does not trigger. Look at picture for more details.

Immagine 2021-12-16 142911.jpg
    UTC +2
    Italian DM
    Italian/English Player

thanks, I'll take a look into this and see about ignoring the spell damage type.

Quote Originally Posted by Drogo210 View Post
    Sure, Spell Resistance adds 'spell' to the type of damage for magical attacks then Fire Bolt for example would look like 1d10 fire, spell. It seems that ABSORB does not like double damage type (fire, spell) and does not trigger. Look at picture for more details.

Immagine 2021-12-16 142911.jpg
    The fix was pushed, please verify after updating.
    Last edited by mattekure; December 16th, 2021 at 23:19.

I have found a conflict between this and Advanced Weapon Damage by bratch9

Quote Originally Posted by Fingersome View Post
    I have found a conflict between this and Advanced Weapon Damage by bratch9
    I dont own that one, so I have no way to test it. Can you be more specific about what you are seeing? Are there error messages, or functionality that is different?

I dont own that one, so I have no way to test it. Can you be more specific about what you are seeing? Are there error messages, or functionality that is different?
    I've just grabbed your extension, and will try and get time to take a look at the conflict. (Between yours and AWD)

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Modules: B9's Steel Defender.
    Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

Hi,

I've taken a look and an initial fix would be to add a '<loadorder>111</loadorder>' ( or above.. ) as AWD replaces onDamage ( and does not call to the previous function ) as it has to do a lot of work to deal with its special case additions to the damage type line.

Talking of the damage type, I'd suggest not doing 'if vType == sDmgType then' because this has issues with more complex damage lines that can happen. For example your usage fails if you take a 'longsword+1' and edit its damage type from 'slashing' to 'lightning' and use on a Flesh Golem - ABSORB: lightning effect. This is because the sDmgType is now 'lightning,magic' and does not match your == 'lightning'

The damage type line is normally split into words with the likes of 'local tSplitDmgTypes = StringManager.split(v, ",", true);' 5E manager_action_damage.lua line 299.. so 'lightning,magic' would get split into 2 damage types. ( one of 'lightning' and one of 'magic' )

While the above would get you sort of working with AWD, it would not support the extra special cases when a damage line looks like, 'lightning,type(undead)' as your system will process this first and with the 'StringManager.split' fix would apply healing of the lightning damage to a creature with your ABSORB: lightning effect enabled at its current value. And AWD would apply the rule 'type(undead)' and could later zero out this amount of damage on creatures non-undead ( in this case ). So it can cause complications.

The loadorder will drop your processing before AWD and this is all that would be needed if you don't want to also combine it with the 'effect' type processing that AWD could apply onto each damage clause of a weapon. ( Depending on what the users configure. )

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Modules: B9's Steel Defender.
    Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

Thread Information