DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Which Extension

Which Extension

Greetings,

I've now played several games with FGU and really enjoying it. Just tried my first time hosting a game and it also went very well. Now I am looking at more hosting than playing and have discovered all the wonderful Effect Modules and Extensions. I am not a programmer so these products appeal to me. I am struggling with how to determine what is compatible with each other and which are repeats of other products. For example:

I am looking at RobTwohy's DM Effects, one click druid and DM tools. I really like the way the spells can have tokens drop down onto the VT and then target everyone, etc. I also like how the module/extension removes token stacking. Very appealing but this seems to be an older product.

I am also looking at Grim Press' Automatic Effects. This product is a more recent release and I like how every item/effect is organized. But I do not see if it can plunk down spell effects with tokens, address token stacking, etc...

I believe that the effects are a repeat of each other so I can't see a reason to need them both.
    I am wondering what people's thoughts are on these two products and what they would recommend for a new DM starting up.

(going to run DnD 5E).

Peace.
    - Faith, Steel and Gunpowder.

Blog Entries
    Both Rob https://discord.gg/FVgtecr and Grimm https://discord.gg/N7MM93a have their own Discord channels where they and their developers can answer specific questions.

My advice for a new DM, do not use any extensions. Run at least half a dozen live sessions just using FG as it comes. There is a lot of capability and things to learn, and until you are smooth with gameplay, adding more complexity is not something I would advise.

After you have running your game down smooth, and you don't have struggles or delays doing the things you want/need, then you can start asking yourself where you are struggling and what might help your games go smoother.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'd echo what LE says. Also learn how to use the effects system yourself. This will allow you to learn what the effects actually do rather than plugging in things and not really knowing how they work. Once you are familiar with how the system works and, if you feel that one or other of those packages might save a little time in adding effects, then go for one of them. As you say they both do roughly similar things. I've used neither of them so I can't say which, if any, is the better one. You will get adherents for both of them who will swear that one of them is better but that's subjective. Until you use them yourself you won't know whether one or the other suits you better.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information