Starfinder Playlist

Here's a Screen from my Rappan Athuk Game

One thing I have been experimenting is just drawing on the masked DM map instead of the unmasking it. That way I don't have to worry about secret doors, traps and that type of thing or have to make a player map. I've found it to take about as much time as unmasking unless the area to draw is very elaborate. I found that on the worst case I can still just unmask. The only problem is if the map is in a module then FG does not remember what you drew on it. Of course right now it doesn't remember what you un-masked either if its on a module map.
    Last edited by Griogre; September 2nd, 2007 at 07:59.

Hmm, that is interesting. Let us know if it keeps working.

rv

I laughed at the Peanut Gallery.

That's an interesting idea about drawing instead of unmasking. I find unmasking a little clunky personally and might have better luck drawing as well.

Yeah, Peanut Gallery was pretty funny. He was an observer and not playing.

I've been using the draw on map instead of unmasking for a while now. I don't think I'm going to go back to unmasking dungeon type things unless something changes.

The Con of doing it this way is: 1) If you have a pretty map you are not going to be showing it off normally. 2) In elaborate areas it can be a pain to draw with the mouse.

The Pros, for me anyway, are pretty good. 1) You don't have to go to the work of making a player map or just show the players the secrets or traps. 2) If you make a mistake you just erase it and redraw. It's a pain right now if you unmask the wrong thing to fix it. 3) Flexablity. Should you want to change the map for some reason - well you can. You just draw it. Also under the flexablity option if you do have the map underneath you *can* still just unmask that part.

To me the flexablity is the big winner. There are tons of maps out there on the Internet, but if you are like me - a lot of the time its like you find a good map that is great but I need something that is not quite on the map or some little thing that makes the map not work. Now I can just add that little thing or subtract it when I draw the map.
    Last edited by Griogre; September 3rd, 2007 at 00:42.

Wow, what a great idea! I am just starting my first campaign using FG2, so I'm still trying out various tips and tricks to see what I like best. I'll definitely give this one a try tomorrow!

In particular, I know that a lot of my maps I am planning to use are ones that I downloaded that already include a grid. Since I've quickly learned that it can be a big pain to get the map grid to lineup nicely with the FG2 grid, leaving the map grid "masked" may work out perfect!

Yeah, that is another big advantage. If the map has a grid on it, it is faint enough that you can ignore it and lay down your own grid and not go crosseyed because the grids will never line up unless you resize the map. If you look hard at that map you can see see the grid on the map. It makes it easy to change the maps scale also.

Thread Information