STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Extension: Reload Consumption

Hi all,

just hacked together a tiny extension that will add a reload button to your weapons on the combat tap of your character sheet.

Anyways, here is how it works:
    Weapon Record Info now has two new entries:
    Ammo Name (here you put the name of the ammunition as it is labeled in your inventory)
    Mag. Reload: Checkbox whether or not the Ammo is stored in magazines (machine guns, laser rifles etc.) or as individual bullets (crossbows, revolvers etc.)

How to use:
    Equip a weapon and carry some appropriate ammunition. (The Ammo must be carried or equipped, not just in the inventory).
    Fire a couple of rounds. (The reload button does nothing if your ammo is at maximum).
    Click the reload button (looks like the "new round" button on the CT) right next to the ammo tracking column.
    At this point your ammo will be subtracted from the inventory (as long as there is 1 magazine or some loose bullets carried) and the weapon will be reloaded.
    If there is not enough bullets for a full reload (when not reloading a magazine) as many bullets as are avaiable will be reloaded.

Here is a short demo video:

Forge Entry: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/329/view

Known Issues:
    Reload button is visible even on melee weapons.
    Ammo Information is visible on weapons that don't have ammo.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chillhelm; November 4th, 2021 at 22:11.
    Check out my Extensions for Savage Worlds:
    Arcane Devices:Forge and github
    Mass Battles: Forge and github
    Fast Tests: Forge and github
    Reload Consumption: Forge
    Chase&Combat Compilation: Forge

If you take a look at the code of Ammunition Manager (my extension which does something similar for other rulesets) you can probably see how to hide the button and info for melee weapons.
    Happy to explain if it isn't easy to find
    Last edited by bmos; November 4th, 2021 at 22:30.

I love it. thank you so much.

> you can probably see how to hide the button and info for melee weapons.

I'm guessing hiding/showing it in the onInit function and then subscribing to onUpdate on the weapon type node? Or is there a clever trick?

I mostly just wanted to get it out there since I had it working.

And IMHO having ammo should be decoupled from being Ranged/Melee. Tasers for example have battery charge, but as it stands the Savage Worlds Ruleset (in FG, in the books it's possible).
    Check out my Extensions for Savage Worlds:
    Arcane Devices:Forge and github
    Mass Battles: Forge and github
    Fast Tests: Forge and github
    Reload Consumption: Forge
    Chase&Combat Compilation: Forge

Quote Originally Posted by chillhelm View Post
    I'm guessing hiding/showing it in the onInit function and then subscribing to onUpdate on the weapon type node?
    Pretty much.
    Last edited by bmos; November 5th, 2021 at 00:22.

Thank you chillhelm! We'll put this to use in our sci-fi game.

Hi Chillhelm, this is a very nice and needful extension. Thank you! Is it also possible to handle more than one ammo type per weapon without the need to change the ammo name? I think of a bow, which can use normal arrows and elf arrows.

Personally I'd create sub-attacks for different arrows, as I expect elf arrows will have different range/AP/damage or something else than normal arrows.

I have not used this yet so maybe that isn't the correct answer.
    Last edited by Doswelk; November 5th, 2021 at 10:06.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Blog Entries
    Thanks! Just the other night my players were asking about something like this. Planning to try it out this weekend.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    Personally I'd create sub-attacks for different arrows, as I expect elf arrows will have different range/AP/damage or something else than normal arrows.

I have not used this yet so maybe that isn't the correct answer.
    I never used different ammo types for one weapon before either, so I am still testing this for my (hopefully soon) upcoming fantasy game.

I use the weapons directly to reflect the different ranges atm. Therefore I want to use bow, short bow, long bow and elf bow to handle this. I thought about (with this extension in mind) to use the item "elf arrow" where I will add my custom #damaging (damage+1), #penetrating (AP+1) and #accurate (attack +1) tags from the master effect list to the modification field. Then equipping the item, to make it work.

The only disadvantage of this method is the missing ">" in the effect code to make the attack exclusive with the used weapon. But maybe it works similar with keywords like elfbow.

My other idea to add different ammo to a weapon was adding mods or enchantments to the weapon including different effects. This could be done including the ">" in the code.

If there would be also an effect code to change the range of the weapon, I would be very happy to integrate it as well.

But due to this new extension it could be possible to handle it in the one or the other way. Gameplay and further testing will show.

Thread Information