STAR TREK 2d20

General spell adjudication discussion: Anti Magic Shell

Hey all, I pose this question for opinions, and I do it here because it seems like most people are DM's, and I'm not active on any other gaming forums! It does not have anything to do specifically with FG. The question is, when Anti Magic Shell is in operation, is the caster and his equipment subject to the effect of anti-magic? The spell description says "It prevents the functioning of any magical items or spells within its confines". It does not say "except for the casters possessions or spells". I have always taken this to mean the caster and their possessions are affected as well, effectively leaving them naked to other attacks. If the caster is excluded from the effects, then why does Globe of Invulnerability exist, which is also an abjuration spell?

I bring this question up because I was just reading WG12 Vale of the Mage, and it has this encounter setup:

In this guise, The Exalted One has on his ring of regeneration, ring of flying, hat of disguise, boots of speed, bracers of defense AC 2, wand of lightning, potion of invisibility and medallion of ESP. By the time the PCs come upon the dryad, the Exalted One already will have cast protection from normal missiles, know alignment, and anti-magic shell. Consult the section on Jason Krimeah for his statistics, background, and spell list.

Clearly the author did not intend for the final addition of Anit-Magic Shell to render every other magic item and spell non-operational. Are they just unfamiliar with how it's really supposed to work, or have I been doing it wrong?!

Anti-magic shell blocks all magic inside. Sorta like silence blocks all sound inside. Whomever wrote that blurb did not know how the spell worked.

If you want a long dissertation on this sorta topic you can visit Dragonsfoot.org, their forums are specifically for such topics. I wouldn't be surprised if it's already been discussed at length.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Cool, thanks Celestian. I'll check them out.

Thread Information