DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 7 of 17 First ... 56789 ... Last
    The stat block is in the reference manual. I'll say in the future I'll make sure I include it in the parser so it places it in the notes section. As far as going back and adding it that is not something I am going to do. For adventures moving forward I'll make sure the stat block is presented somewhere in the conversion.

The statblock includes documentation of the attack patterns and multiple attacks. The attack patterns are not present in the NPC sheets, so there is information missing which is necessary for running the NPC. Your pushback is that roar isn't actually an attack so isn't needed in the automation, but the Referee needs to have the information available to know how to run it. The dragonne gets 2x claw and either 1x bite or 1x roar.

Here's another monster with two entirely different attack patterns. The manticore gets either (2x claw + 1x bite) or 6x tail spike. My expectation is that the NPC record is going to have all the information that I need, and that's not actually the case. If I'm simply missing how it's documented here, please enlighten me. But from what I can see you have to stop what you're doing, pull up the Reference Manual, search for the monster, scan through all the entries until you find the correct one, and then read a statblock looking for the Att details. Or they could just be included in the NPC record and the problem is solved to the Referee's benefit.

Manticore as in the Referee Tome:

Manticore with attack patterns represented:

And you don't need the full statblock given that all the other details are already present and accounted for. You could just include the attack entry. But this information is definitely missing from the product at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bayne7400 View Post
    The stat block is in the reference manual. I'll say in the future I'll make sure I include it in the parser so it places it in the notes section. As far as going back and adding it that is not something I am going to do. For adventures moving forward I'll make sure the stat block is presented somewhere in the conversion.
    Understood. I'll drop it. It's just a frustrating missed opportunity in a paid product. I'm betting making those conversions don't actually earn anyone much money for the effort, so I get the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuirgin View Post
    The NPC record as it is now in the Referee Tome:

The NPC record updated with the statblock and attack pattern annotation:

Personally, I think that the statblock is more important than the attack pattern annotation—it will answer a wider variety of questions.
    The Roar information is in the NPC sheer.

Don't want this buried. Sorry Bayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    The Roar information is in the NPC sheer.
    The fact that roar is an alternative to bite is not in the NPC sheet. But Bayne has spoken and it's over.

If I did the work that I'm describing is there any way to organize the effort so that it could be synced back into the official Referee Tome product and others could benefit from it?

Yeah if they were not actually in the product I would add them but they are all in the reference manual (Which is where they belong). Its not a bad suggestion at all its just a time thing. The core RPG update on test breaks OSE pretty bad, so right now I am focused on keeping us all playing.

Yeah, I get that. Priorities. But I'm going to be doing this work anyway to scratch my own itch. It makes it better if I can share it back. Is it possible to share it back and if so, how would that work?

Absent you having the campaign file I'm not sure. Thanks for offering though.

Thread Information