DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Creating your own maps

I'm looking for advice on how to create your own maps.

Are there map maker tools that make it easier?

I've looked at SW's FGU art subscription but I'm worried about if I ever stop it all my maps are essentially replaced with red question marks. Or do you use the tools to create a map - take a screen shot - then put that image in as you map so you don't lose anything if you ever end the subscription?

Looking for advice on creating maps. Currently all I've ever done is map maps based on existing images online that I use FGU to add LOS. And soon lighting in the next week or two. Just want to see what direction I should go in long term.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Look at DungeonDraft and Dungeon Painter Studio as low cost, easy to use mappers that are stand alone. Both have a way to generate FG LOS data. I used Dungeon Painter Studio for a long time but switched to DungeonDraft six months ago because it's faster and easier to use. Dungeon Painter Studio just went to version 2 and DungeonDraft just went to version 1. There is Arkenforge with is more expensive and is a campaign manager, mapper, light VTT that does also export maps to FG.

If you want a web based tile mapper try Dave's Mapper: https://davesmapper.com/

If you want random auto generated including maps and dungeon stuff for D&D / Pathfinder, Donjon is a good site: https://donjon.bin.sh/

Edit: forgot to mention you can pull Donjon maps into Dungeon Painter Studio and thus convert them to FG LOS too.

Blog Entries
    I think I might own every possible mapping software...
    They all work... pick one and run with it.
    Despite its many quirks DungeonDraft is a good option.

I was enjoying the fg mapping... but then it got too slow! I can't find any way to export maps as Jpeg. So I have messed around with a couple and settled on arkenforge.

Some options listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ftware-summary

It hasn't been updated for a while, but the info is still valid.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Dungeon Painter on that list is dead since flash is dead though you can still download the website to run locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Guybie View Post
    I was enjoying the fg mapping... but then it got too slow! I can't find any way to export maps as Jpeg. So I have messed around with a couple and settled on arkenforge.
    Yeah that's what's got me worried about FG mapping - I'd have to screen shot it to actually get a map and then LOS/light that version. Which may not be as high quality as I could normally achieve. Is there any plans for their mapping to actually output maps and not just build them in their internal logic?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I think I might own every possible mapping software...
    They all work... pick one and run with it.
    Despite its many quirks DungeonDraft is a good option.
    I am a bit curious. Is other map making software much faster than creating maps in fantasy grounds unity?
    I usually dont care that much about getting the smaller detail right if that has anything to say.

I have mostly placed tiles from tiles sets until now, but I have started exploring the possibilities unity offers in map making.

I was going to ask the same thing - why not just make them in fgu? is there a performance hit using the software to do it all?

Quote Originally Posted by macDsinfo View Post
    I was going to ask the same thing - why not just make them in fgu? is there a performance hit using the software to do it all?
    My worry is that if I end the subscription all my maps would turn into piles question marks. The only way I can think to make a permanent raw image from what I'm reading is to screen shot it as there is no way to "output" the map into a .jpeg (etc.) type of commonly accepted format. Which means I have to first make the map. Then screen shot it into image. Then reload the image. Then LOS and light that. I am wrong? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here?

Thread Information