DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Adding a new light source during play requires the player to close/reopen map.

Steps to reproduce

1. GM shares a map with no light source
    2. The connected player's character is dragged to the map in darkness
    3. Player closes map and reopens (this seems to be important in my last attempt to reproduce)
    4. GM Adds light source with torch preset in front of character to an existing layer (make sure you select an existing layer here)
    5. GM Toggles Player Vision Preview mode to ensure the light is working
    6. Player client sees no light
    7. Player client closes map and reopens
    8. Player client can see light

If the GM creates a new layer for the lights after the player has the map open, this is not a problem. So if you are adding a light for the first time and don't select a layer you wont notice the issue.

Edit: Also it seems to not occur immediately after sharing.. it happens when the player closes and re-opens the image. Updated the steps.

Workaround is to unshare and reshare the map when a player starts complaining about lights I say I turned on not working.
    Last edited by nsipid; October 14th, 2021 at 03:21.

I can confirm my group have the exact same issue.

Also, worth pointing out that the DM in that campaign didn't know how to move players through walls so, during Stroud, he'd remove us from the map and put us back on. We'd all have to close the map and he'd have to reshare it.

What then would happen is that the human in our group would light a torch (Curse of Strahd is very dark) and we'd all have to close down the maps and reopen them. Then in another scene in Strahd, all the candles in the room go out leaving the party in complete darkness, apart from our halfling who was AFK and didn't know to close the map down.
    Last edited by Rylan Storm; October 14th, 2021 at 09:25.
    www.accidentaldm.com - The diary of a Newbie DM

Quote Originally Posted by Rylan Storm View Post
    I can confirm my group have the exact same issue.

Also, worth pointing out that the DM in that campaign didn't know how to move players through walls so, during Stroud, he'd remove us from the map and put us back on. We'd all have to close the map and he'd have to reshare it.

What then would happen is that the human in our group would light a torch (Curse of Strahd is very dark) and we'd all have to close down the maps and reopen them. Then in another scene in Strahd, all the candles in the room go out leaving the party in complete darkness, apart from our halfling who was AFK and didn't know to close the map down.
    What I do to work around this at the moment is unshare the map and reshare the map (to everyone) when adding lights (instead of asking each player to re-open). It annoys the players a bit that they have to resize their image again the way they want it, but its better than some players not being able to see the light source.

Oh, yeah...that's probably better.

Not great though is it?

I'm not seeing this. Following your steps, the player sees the light as soon as I place it on the map. Are there some other steps required you didn't mention?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It doesn't even need all those steps for me.

It's as simple as;
    If a light is added or removed all players must close and reopen the map to see that change.

So I made a quick video of what I am doing just so we can be clear on what steps are needed to be able to reproduce the issue. You can view it here https://youtu.be/JGdAq7SEJ7A

One thing I didn't ask was whether you were using any extensions - and does it happen in a new campaign without extensions.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Ok. That's good news then. We're definitely looking at a bug as opposed to a design choice/unimplemented feature.

You're understanding the situation right.

I'm not in a position to record my own video (I'm back at home on Wednesday) but in my game the player would not see the torch you added until they closed the map.

I am using extensions. A custom decal, audiooverseer and the extended options thing that allows you to roll a dice for HP on level up as opposed to taking the average.

Happy to remove them and retry.

The DM running CoS where we also saw this was not running extensions at all.

@cpinder did find a corner case where the light could not appear on remote clients based on a combination of factors. The fix for what he found will be in the next release, possibly next week or the week after. I'll post here after that release, and we can make sure if the original issue addressed.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information