STAR TREK 2d20

M1 Mac Mini FGU Has to be reinstalled every time I reboot

I've been dealing with this problem for a while. The first few times it happened, I kind of wrote it off as just a weird bug. But it has become consistent. I primarily run FGU on my M1 Mac Mini. I don't have anything weird installed, running, etc. I'm actually an IT Professional with about 20 years of experience with Mac and PC and whatever is happening, it isn't something I can pin down.

I leave my Mac running most of the time. I always completely close FGU after the game is over. Whenever I have to reboot for any reason, the next time I launch FGU, I get an error saying that it can't be found. Sometimes, if I run the updater, I can get it to work again (as long as there's an update), otherwise, I have to reinstall it again using the web client. The reinstall is fairly quick, but I don't feel like this is something I should have to do every time I reboot my Mac.

I did encounter this once on one of my PCs as well: The client wouldn't launch until I completely reinstalled it. But this is a regular thing on my Mac. Please tell me I'm not the only one experiencing this. This Mac Mini is brand new and I haven't done anything particularly hacky with it. It is not running any kind of AV or anything. And so far, this issue with FGU is the only issue I'm having with any of the software on the computer.

Edit: After further testing, it doesn't appear to be "every time" I reboot. It's after a period of using the application and then having to reboot. I honestly can't find any consistent behavior that leads to the corruption.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wframe; October 10th, 2021 at 10:07.

To be honest, I haven't heard of this particular scenario happening on Mac before. Typically, when people run into issues with the program "disappearing" after some event, we usually ask them to look at their security software blocking/quarantining.

If it happens again, you could try doing some sleuthing on your end.
    * The Mac files are installed at: "/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/"
    * You should be able to navigate to that folder on your machine, and find FantasyGrounds.app as well as some of the updater programs.
    * You should be able to open FG from that folder using "open FantasyGrounds.app"

Things to check:
    * Security program block/quarantine
    * Application "link" no longer pointing to right location
    * Files moved

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    To be honest, I haven't heard of this particular scenario happening on Mac before. Typically, when people run into issues with the program "disappearing" after some event, we usually ask them to look at their security software blocking/quarantining.

If it happens again, you could try doing some sleuthing on your end.
    * The Mac files are installed at: "/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/"
    * You should be able to navigate to that folder on your machine, and find FantasyGrounds.app as well as some of the updater programs.
    * You should be able to open FG from that folder using "open FantasyGrounds.app"

Things to check:
    * Security program block/quarantine
    * Application "link" no longer pointing to right location
    * Files moved

Regards,
    JPG
    Thanks, Moon. Next time it happens, I'll check the file locations. It may be a broken link in the dock or something. But it seems like the last time I tried launching it from the applications folder, I got the same error. It's driving me crazy because I can usually fix just about anything and this one is particularly evasive, so I was hoping someone else might be experiencing it. The logs are telling me nothing so far.

Thread Information