DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    My guess is that especially on dungeons like DoMM you will regret retaining all the FoW data as your DB size will grow significantly and it will impact your game performance in so many other ways.
    I think that's why the suggestion of moving the FoW data out of the db and into separate files (like mask used to be handled). Of course that requires re-architecting the current system, so not something to take lightly.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Since I say it every time I see one of these threads, I'll say again I'd love an option to remove FOW entirely, and players can only see what they see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterno View Post
    Since I say it every time I see one of these threads, I'll say again I'd love an option to remove FOW entirely, and players can only see what they see.
    Sterno, I could see if I can make the FoWEnhanced extension able to eliminate the FoW data while having the FoW features. Let me know if you want that and I'll see what I can do.

As to the issue of moving the FoW data outside the db.xml, FoWEnhanced does that.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    My guess is that especially on dungeons like DoMM you will regret retaining all the FoW data as your DB size will grow significantly and it will impact your game performance in so many other ways.
    I think I'd like to understand what the design philosophy of FGU is and what sort of machines the player base uses. If it's a low-impact application designed to be run on any machine then I'd say there's not much point in investing time into this but, if the design philosophy is for FGU to be the best VTT it can be then we all need to stop quoting performance issues so much. So many ideas seem to get shot down in their infancy due to performance issues that I have to start wondering if there's a bigger problem that needs addressing.

This isn't the latest Call of Duty or Adobe editing software. It's a VTT. I know my group is going to be on the upper end of the curve - outside of D&D we're all gamers so we tend to be pretty decent machines but FGU barely makes an impact now that I've learned that you can't add 1,000 hi-res maps to your campaign.

Perhaps it comes down to DM style or a particular campaign but my players regularly return to certain areas. Yes, they're not going back to the Cragmaw Cave they were in at Level 1 and 2 so I can absolutely wipe that data but there are definitely places they go to where it's nothing but frustrating that they lose their progress.

So, sure, make it optional. Hell, make it so that it wipes by default and you have to turn it on to save it but honestly, for some of us, this is fundamental to what we do.
    www.accidentaldm.com - The diary of a Newbie DM

I'd just like to thank Jharp for producing an extension that address this issue, but also does so in a way that seems to neatly sidestep the 'db.xml' bloat that keeps being brought up as a reason this can't be done.

To him I doff my jaunty hat, and give full voice to my thanks!

Cheers,

Simon

Taking advantage of the hook, from the fog of war, I would like to know if I can create a mask for the ambient light and change the lighting to indicate the passage of time, dawn, day, sunset and night within the masked area and more if I can mask an area that will not have influence of the time of day, like a cave where the light only reaches a certain point of it, the rest becomes total darkness, only allowing characters with different views or light sources to see and I take this opportunity to say that the lighting mask would be perfect with anchoring, that the light source having a "radius" adjustment would be perfect for creating "flashlight" and that a directional LoS would be perfect for simulating levels on a 2D map and I believe even on an isometric map.

Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    Sterno, I could see if I can make the FoWEnhanced extension able to eliminate the FoW data while having the FoW features. Let me know if you want that and I'll see what I can do.
    I think it's awesome you made an extension for FOW stuff and I know how much effort can go into making those, and I respect your right to charge what you think makes sense for it, but something in my psychology makes it very difficult for me to pay for extensions, especially if they're doing functionality that I feel like the tool should do right out of the box.

I know it doesn't make much sense, but it is what it is. So please don't add any features to your extension on my account, since I probably won't be buying a paid extension. I appreciate the thought and offer though!

Where is FOW data stored? I failed the idiot test by moving some tokens to a new room, closing FGU, and campaigns\Mad Mage\db.xml doesn't change at all.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuda View Post
    Where is FOW data stored? I failed the idiot test by moving some tokens to a new room, closing FGU, and campaigns\Mad Mage\db.xml doesn't change at all.
    It depends on what kind of map. One that comes from a module will be in the moduledb directory in the campaign folder. The FoWExtension I wrote helps with this FoW remembering.

Jason

Thread Information