DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Chat panel and dice tower not staying locked into new position.

One of my players had arranged the chat panel and the dice tower on their FG screen and clicked the lock button to lock their position. Whenever the Player reconnects to my FG server these windows are always reset to their default location on the players screen.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

I'm not sure whether those two things are supposed to remain over a closure and eye-opening of FGU. If they are supposed to do that then it sounds like they aren't getting saved to your player's hard drive. So could be a permissions issue.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I'm not sure whether those two things are supposed to remain over a closure and eye-opening of FGU. If they are supposed to do that then it sounds like they aren't getting saved to your player's hard drive. So could be a permissions issue.
    They do reload into their last saved position for other players. There was a file you could delete that would reset window positions if there was a problem, but I can't remember the file name.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

I think the file you are thinking of might be windowstate.xml but I don't think that's a file in the client cache. It's certainly a file that appears in the DM campaign folders. The only file I see in the player cache is the usersettings which only preserves hotkeys. The player could try deleting the entire cache file for the campaign. That is in %AppData%/Roaming/Smiteworks/cache/name of campaign
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I think the file you are thinking of might be windowstate.xml but I don't think that's a file in the client cache. It's certainly a file that appears in the DM campaign folders. The only file I see in the player cache is the usersettings which only preserves hotkeys. The player could try deleting the entire cache file for the campaign. That is in %AppData%/Roaming/Smiteworks/cache/name of campaign
    Yes, that was the file I was talking about. Erasing the cache was our thoughts as well.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Playing -
    My Forge Creations

Just in case: I've gotten frustrated with the windowed aspect of FGU (as opposed to the essentially fixed FGC) causing locked items to move+re-lock somewhere in what appears to be an attempt to keep them visible no matter how small the window becomes
    So if you have your window "just so" and then resize it (accidentally or intentionally) locked windows will move - but then if you maximize the window again they stick in the second position instead of resetting to the first. I can only guess that some order of events is causing "keep these things visible" to win out over "put them back when I maximize the display". So instead of an ini it could be just window resizing causing the chat/tower to have minds of their own.

Blog Entries
    This has always happened for me.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I'll verify later today but wont https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/270/view remedy your issues?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    I'll verify later today but wont https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/270/view remedy your issues?

Jason
    It probably could but it shouldn't be required to provide something that seems to be a core feature. I've used the original for many years until a few months ago. I did subscribe to your newer version when it became available. Players don't usually understand extensions and how to use them.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Playing -
    My Forge Creations

I've done some testing and if you move the chat and dice tower to new positions they are indeed still in those positions when logging back in. So the question is where is that information being saved on the client side and it must be in the campaign.dat file in the cache folder for each campaign. Since in this case the positions aren't being preserved it seems to me that the issue must therefore be that the data isn't being written properly to the cache file. So that brings me back to some kind of permissions issue. Having said that though if this isn't getting written to the file then I'd expect nothing else getting written either - which would manifest in other problems which you don't mention happening. So does the player see the cache file for this campaign? Is there anything in that folder? And is the size of that folder the same as one of the other players who don't have this issue?

Thread Information