FG Spreadshirt Swag

Grid size requirement still needed?

This is one of the requirements listed for the SW store modules:
    The grid should be between 75 and 100 px wide/tall. If it's larger you may need to break the image up into 4 parts and link them on the edges

I'm wondering why that's there. As I understand it, the grid is just telling FGU "On this map, this many pixels represent 5ft". The default grid you get in FGU is even 50px (and was historically in FGC). But you have the ability to scale that up or down depending on the scale of your underlying map.

If you've kept your map under the 2048x total size, but the original map had a grid on it and you try to match that size (e.g. represented the true "width" of the hallways, etc), that might easily be less than 75, or even less than 50.

But you can simply zoom in on the map if you want to.. The tokens all scale and fit correctly in the grid as a 5 ft space.

Different mapping programs might also output at a different scale than 75px=5ft.

To accommodate this requirement, you may have to increase the size of the maps to get to that ratio.

Is this a holdover requirement from FGC? is this an issue with map sizes in general?

Just wondering the reasoning behind this requirement and whether there was any flexibility here.

There's definitely flexibility; especially with move to FGU only. However, we still recommend 4Kx4K max pixel density for maps; and anywhere from 50-100px per grid square resolution. The former is for performance of network transfer and memory usage; and the latter for consistency across maps. The main thing we want to prevent is people going into very large grid square resolutions that increase size but with very little gain (because people don't really need to zoom in that far relative to performance needs).

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    There's definitely flexibility; especially with move to FGU only. However, we still recommend 4Kx4K max pixel density for maps; and anywhere from 50-100px per grid square resolution. The former is for performance of network transfer and memory usage; and the latter for consistency across maps. The main thing we want to prevent is people going into very large grid square resolutions that increase size but with very little gain (because people don't really need to zoom in that far relative to performance needs).

Regards,
    JPG
    Thanks for the reply.. I was still using the old 2k map size from FGC.. if I increased that I could probably make some grid squares larger. Appreciate the consideration.

Thread Information