DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How to DB.getChild() using a string value?

So I'm trying to get the value of a field for the source and target based on the use of a power. The source is the ability that the power uses and the vs is the ability that the target will use to defend (think multiple options based on situation). When I use my below code, I get a nil when accessing the data of what should have a value. Am I wrong in thinking I can use a string variable for the DB.getChild() function?

Code:
    function resolvePowerTest(rSource, rTarget, rRoll, rPower)
    	local sSName = ActorManager.getCreatureNodeName(rSource);
    	local sTName = ActorManager.getCreatureNodeName(rTarget);
    	local sPSource = rPower.power_source.getValue();  <-- provides the correct source ability string
    	local sPVs = rPower.power_vs.getValue();               <-- provides the correct vs ability string
    	Debug.chat(sPSource .. " vs. " .. sPVs);
    	local sSourceVal = DB.getChild(sSName, sPSource).getValue();  <-- return nil, however a DB.getChildren() will return the correct objects including the one I'm looking for
    	Debug.chat(sSourceVal);
    	local sVsVal = DB.getChild(sTName,sPVs).getValue(); <-- return nil, however a DB.getChildren() will return the correct objects including the one I'm looking for
    	Debug.chat(sVsVal);

local tRoll = ActionsManager.roll(rTarget, nil, rRoll, nil)
    	local nTotal = ActionsManager.total(rRoll) + rRoll.nBonuses;
    	local sSuccess = testResult(nTotal - 5);
    	Debug.chat(sSuccess);
    end
    Am I just missing something simple (my Lua skills are basic at best) or can this not be done?

Thanks in advance.

DB.getChild, according to the API documentation, does accept a string for the source node: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...82/DB#getChild

What's the exact error that you're getting?
    What are the values of sSName and sPSource when you get this error?
    What is your database structure?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Lots to unpack, here goes:

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/rollHandlers.lua"]:126: attempt to index a nil value. Line 126 is:
    Code:
    local sSourceVal = DB.getChild(sSName, sPSource).getValue();
    sSName value is s'charsheet.id-00001'
    sPSource value is Strength

DB is:

Code:
    { s'dmg' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.dmg }, s'strength_bonus' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.strength_bonus }, s'slashdr' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.slashdr }, s'Checkbox2' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.Checkbox2 }, s'intellect_bonus' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.intellect_bonus }, s'coordination_bonus' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.coordination_bonus }, s'inventorylist' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.inventorylist }, s'Checkbox1' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.Checkbox1 }, s'name' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.name }, s'shootdr' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.shootdr }, s'willpower_bonus' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.willpower_bonus }, s'villain_check' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.villain_check }, s'init_cb' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.init_cb }, s'dr' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.dr }, s'dl' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.dl }, s'dp' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.dp }, s'powerlist' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.powerlist }, s'villain_chk' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.villain_chk }, s'willpower' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.willpower }, s'hp' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.hp }, s'coins' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.coins }, s'hv_choice' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.hv_choice }, s'prowess' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.prowess }, s'sfBackground' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.sfBackground }, s'heavydr' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.heavydr }, s'strength' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.strength }, s'languagelist' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.languagelist }, s'prowess_bonus' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.prowess_bonus }, s'encumbrance' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.encumbrance }, s'bashdr' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.bashdr }, s'blastdr' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.blastdr }, s'awareness' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.awareness }, s'staminamodifier' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.staminamodifier }, s'stamina' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.stamina }, s'specialitylist' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.specialitylist }, s'hpmodifier' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.hpmodifier }, s'abilitylist' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.abilitylist }, s'coordination' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.coordination }, s'awareness_bonus' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.awareness_bonus }, s'token' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.token }, s'hero_chk' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.hero_chk }, s'qualitylist' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.qualitylist }, s'temp' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.temp }, s'NumberField1' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.NumberField1 }, s'intellect' = databasenode = { charsheet.id-00001.intellect } }
    As I am filling this out, I realize that the value I'm getting is capitalized and the DB isn't....I'm assuming that is my problem...will test it out...

UPDATE: Yep, I'm dumb. It was the lowercase thing.
    Last edited by mixologee; September 26th, 2021 at 18:29. Reason: Updating

Quote Originally Posted by mixologee View Post
    As I am filling this out, I realize that the value I'm getting is capitalized and the DB isn't....I'm assuming that is my problem...will test it out...
    That'll probably be it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information