DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FGU from multiple computers

All,
    I travel a lot for work. I am currently running FGU for my group from my home PC. Every time I travel we just skip playing, but I haven't actually looked into if we can access it campaign from another PC. I don't think work would be too happy about that program on my work PC, but if I had another laptop does that data sync? Is that what the new cloud system does?
    Just trying to figure out if I need to cancel this week

Thanks!

You can certainly install FGU on more than one computer but nothing will sync (the cloud is just a method of allowing easier connections). You would need to copy over your campaign folders from one computer to the other - and back again.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The "cloud" option when you setup a campaign is for connection brokering. There isn't any cloud storage or syncing of data.

You can manually copy your <FG app data>\campaigns\<campaign name> directory from one computer to the other. So you'll need to manually copy the campaign data from the computer that's had the most recent work done on it to the one you want to run the game on next.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

After reading the replies here, you might be tempted into using cloud storage for you campaign data as it might seem simpler than copying information around. FYI there are corruption issues if you set things to auto sync and such a sync happens while you are running a game or if there is lag in access to a campaign stored on the cloud.

This is why its suggested you manually copy the campaign information.

Blog Entries
    I used to do the manual copy. Make sure to include any non vault/official modules and extensions you need.

Also, I don't know about the new cloud brokering in FGU, but when I would travel I would often need to use a VPN (I used PureVPN and Hamachi) to get through hotel firewalls.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It's not a perfect solution, but you could always setup remote access to your home PC via Remote Desktop, or there's a thread on running Fantasy Grounds on Amazon AWS.

I backup all of the folders needed to a Cloud Store. That allows me to download them to whatever computer I am on at the time and serves as a backup in case of a system failure.

I am SURE to never allow auto-sync. Bad things happen with auto-sync.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard
    1. I actually have a grey beard
    2. I have been playing RPGs since 1978.

I use a usb thumb drive to move between my laptop(used for prepping at work) and my desktop at home to actually run for my players. Instead of going and manually copying folders over I use a program called syncback it has an option of copying folders over with a single click after some rules are set.

Quote Originally Posted by mhossom View Post
    I backup all of the folders needed to a Cloud Store. That allows me to download them to whatever computer I am on at the time and serves as a backup in case of a system failure.

I am SURE to never allow auto-sync. Bad things happen with auto-sync.

I'm using MS OneDrive for Fantasy Grounds which worked rather well, even with full auto sync. Usually preparing on my notebook while i'm on the road, and then running the sessions on my PC at home.
    Tried this with several cloud services, the only one that worked so far (for me, at least) was OneDrive, didn't notice any lag or performance issues either.
    If you happen to have access to OD (since its already baked into Windows), u might wanna try if it works for you as well.

Always run backups of your campaign folders regularly, tho.

Note: There have been cases where FG GMs using active sync software (including OneDrive, DropBox, Google Drive, etc.) on their live FG data have experienced data corruption or data loss. It is strongly advised that you don't use software like this on your live FG data. If you are using something like this, you may just be lucky (so far) or have not noticed any small data loss. If you're using something like this on your live FG data you're doing so at your own risk and against SmiteWorks recommendations.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information