5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Freezing and Lighting Issue Persists after 4.1.8 Update

4.1.8 doesn't seem to change the problems for me:

1. On/off status of ambient light is not maintained between sessions, reverts to On every time the game is loaded.
    2. FGU freezes (non-responsive) for .25 seconds every 2 seconds. (zoom in on FX areas like water/lava/mud to see this happen very obviously) - This is just with no players connected.

In 4.1.7 the game was virtually unplayable with 5 players connected. with longer spikes in lag, no smooth dice rolls. Haven't been able to test a real session in 4.1.8 yet.

Issue seems identical with 0 extensions and with "many" extensions.

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlq48gtmye...82%29.zip?dl=0

Maps I've been noticing this on:

• Map - The Black Geode
    • Map - Fane of the Eye
    • Map - The Weeping Colossus

I know there are a lot of lights on the maps, but the problem seems to exist independent of the number.

If I disable all the lights at the layer level so none are showing, the problem persists. Turning off lighting altogether fixes it.

Turning off FX layers doesn't seem to make a difference.

Relatively capable machine (10th gen 8-core i7 - 64gb DDR4 - RTX2080 Super drivers fully updated - NVME drive, Windows 10 fully updated, 400mbps down, 35 up) Task Manager shows nothing is taxed ever.

I'm happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Matt

I think your dropbox link is broken, pops up as an error.

Yeah, the link is broken. It looks like the forum shortened display text (with three dots in the middle) has been copied from another thread. It might be this (taken from a previous thread): https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlq48gtmye...82%29.zip?dl=0
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I've passed on this thread to @cpinder to review. (assuming the DropBox link that Trenloe found is correct).

Regards,
    JPG

We tried to play again tonight and the lag was unbearable and we had to stop. One of the lag spikes even caused me to reveal the whole map to the players...

Any luck with fixing these issues?

We have another build planned this week. I believe your issue is related to ambient lighting; and there is a performance improvement planned for that. If I remember right, @cpinder mentioned that for the map you had set up had ambient lighting, as well as 100s of lights.

Regards,
    JPG

Awesome. Can't wait! When working as expected, FGU is amazing.

One of the issues is that ambient lighting keeps turning itself back on, separate of the performance issues.

I actually only added all the lights to see if the performance would be better than with ambient lighting and no point lights, and there was no noticeable difference in performance, but the 100s of lights looked better.

I have also noticed as someone else has mentioned, that it is impossible to select "none" for ambient lighting on some maps.

Just following up on this one. Is this still an issue after the v4.1.9 release last week?

Regards,
    JPG

Will be testing it live tonight for the first time.

With only the GM connected, the specific "freezing for .25 seconds every 2 seconds" issue has been resolved. It seems to have come with the side effect that the map takes 20ish seconds to open instead of 4-5, but that is certainly preferable to the issues while using it.

There is still an issue where maps that (have ever?) had ambient lighting turned on always turn the ambient lighting back on when launching the campaign.

From a general "feel of performance" view, a map with 100+ lights seems to run smoother than the same map 0 lights and ambient light turned on. It's not a huge difference but when scrolling fast (especially with a token selected with Token Vision Preview on), I could notice it.

Thanks,

Matt

Thread Information