Starfinder Playlist

Thread: Mystara Maps

Mystara Maps

I've been running a 5E campaign in Mystara, using lots of the old BECMI modules for adventures. Throughout the campaign I've made quite a few maps and thought I'd share them for anyone that wants to use them privately. I've get them all in a Google Drive folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...SB?usp=sharing
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Blog Entries
    Thanks! That's a bunch of cool maps. Brings back some memories. Never played all those adventures, but I fondly remember some of the X's.

I added to the maps resources thread too.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    I've been running a 5E campaign in Mystara, using lots of the old BECMI modules for adventures. Throughout the campaign I've made quite a few maps and thought I'd share them for anyone that wants to use ...
    Wowzers!

I assume that you use cc3+? Very nice work! I run a Gurps version of Keep on the Borderlands. Maybe I'll expand outwards now, thanks.

Yeah I think all of these were done in CC3+. I've got the whole suite. I also use FlowScape sometimes for random encounter maps a lot.
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM

Yeah I think all of these were done in CC3+. I've got the whole suite. I also use FlowScape sometimes for random encounter maps a lot.
    I have flowscape as well. I have not made the transition to using it in-game. Do you have any examples of a 3d map and its 2d projection to show?

Valley of the Roc.jpg

Used this one last session.
    Ultimate License DM

Valley of the Roc.jpg
    Used this one last session.
    Would it be possible for you to show the flowscape 3D view? I don't recall what flowscape's save extensions are, but maybe a screenshot? I always wonder how much information is lost when you move to 2D.

I rarely save my FlowScapes, but here's a max size map in 3D: https://puu.sh/Ied9E/7144ab91e5.jpg
    Same map in Ortho view with a 40x40 grid over it: https://puu.sh/Iedah/6db670c6fb.jpg
    Ultimate License DM

I rarely save my FlowScapes, ...
    Ah, so you don't routinely present the 3D maps to your players?
    but here's a max size map in 3D: https://puu.sh/Ied9E/7144ab91e5.jpg
    Same map in Ortho view with a 40x40 grid over it: https://puu.sh/Iedah/6db670c6fb.jpg
    Thanks. I feel that what is missing from a lot of my maps is a feeling of terrain height, and changes in elevation. I'm not certain if the 2d projection properly conveys the change in elevation, do you? That's why I wonder about presenting both types of maps at the same time. Of course that's a lot more work. And I generally do my mapping in cc3+ ...

I meant I don't save the project files, so once I close flowscape I no longer have the project file to work with. It's just a fast way to make a random wilderness map. As far as using the 3D view, I have before--and we just put the tokens on a gridless map and I lock the token scale. I do that for a semi-theatre of the mind encounter. Distances are "engaged" (adjacent), "near" (within 1 move), "far" (within 2 moves), or "very far" (3+ moves away, usually I give the distance). The tokens are just a loose representation of who is standing where.

When presenting this map in 2D I might draw a few contour lines to delineate where the elevation change is, but even then, only if it would actually have a tactical implication like difficult terrain or a skill check.
    Ultimate License DM

Thread Information