Starfinder Playlist

How "crack open" extension file

Okay I'm a complete noob here. I'm wanting to "crack open" an extension file(EXT) but when I open it in Notepad++ or Studio Visual Code it looks encrypted. I've tried to Save As the file in either formats xml. or .lua but that did not change the encrypted appearance. Please help out on were I'm going wrong. Thank you.

P.S. If you know of video on Youtube that covers this I would like to see it. My search-foo has been yielding no results most likely due to not know what to ask exactly. Thanks again.

The .ext file is just a renamed .zip file. You can rename and open with any zip uncompression tool, including the one built into Windows.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the input. This info got me on the right track and was able to complete the task despite my last 2 brain cells trying to thwart me from doing so. The struggle is real over here. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    If you have 7-zip installed, it will automatically recognize .zip files regardless of the file extension and allow you to open the file via context menu (right-click). Otherwise, do the rename/open archive thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    If you have 7-zip installed, it will automatically recognize .zip files regardless of the file extension and allow you to open the file via context menu (right-click). Otherwise, do the rename/open archive thing.
    I was able to open and modify the extension. It is now working. Much of my problem was "you don't know what you don't know". Decided to write out and share my struggle here incase someone new may find it useful and maybe provide some of the tech veterans a bit of nostalgia of the "back when".

Problem 1 was I didn't have 7zip installed. Dumb I know but in my defense; I was using a different computer when I'm just used to having it there and ready. So downloaded and fixed that.

Problem 2 when I went to zip up the file I zipped the main folder. Found out by reading in another post that you want to zip the contents of folder and not the folder as whole.

Problem 3 I zipped the files in folder in .7z format.....which was wrong. Found the correct answer in a 45min video by @damned on basic extension coding. The correct way was to of course .zip format. And then just change the .zip to .ext.

Problem 4 I kept adding .ext to name of the file but did not change the file type. After some google-fu found what I had to do was go to view tab at top of the file window instance look and check the box that said show extension. Which allowed me to change the file type just as easy as described by all of you. LOL.

So the important thing is I learned much from this. These things do seem so easy now. Thank you for help and patience for the technically challenged.

Blog Entries
    No worries. 7-zip isn't a requirement, it just makes things simpler for me since I got tired of all the file renaming I did back when I first got started with all this. But it leads to its own issues if you select the wrong encryption algorithm, as you discovered already.

Thread Information