FG Spreadshirt Swag

Command and/or code flags List available?

Hey all,

My group is trying to find a comprehensive list of 'flags' or modifiers used in the 'Effects' table modifiers? For example: Light Spell; LIGHT: 10 <hex color code> etc.

We'd like to write our own effects, of course, and a list of the syntax to use would be very useful, indeed.

ALSO: we're noting very strange, typically low to very low results on the random number generator for all dice rolls. It's rare to see any rolls over 70, the majority rolls come up in the teens to the low 50s, and this over extended game play. Is the random number generator a CORE RPG function or something Dakadin coded, please?

thanks
    Cal

Here is the Wiki about lights (it not specific to any ruleset).

The dice thing has been discussed before. The short answer is that the dice do appear to be sufficiently random, however, there is sometimes streaks of low rolls (or high rolls, or middle rolls). The main thing to know about the dice roller (which again is not specific to any ruleset, but part of the base application) is that it is not actually an RNG. It's a physics simulation of the dice. When you pick up a die (or dice), it seeds a RNG with the input of your throwing action (direction/speed) and inputs that to the Physics simulation.

I could be off on some of the details here, but that is how Moon Wizard (the lead Dev for FG) described it in the past.

Here is a quote from 2017.
    There is no random number generator. The dice are a physics simulation of a perfectly weighted dice dropped from a fixed height onto a flat surface. The dice is given a random rotation based on the computer RNG every time it is picked up or rolled. Also, the lateral direction and power of the die roll is determined by the speed of the mouse prior to the die release. If the speed is too slow, the speed is increased to a minimum. If you double click instead of rolling with the mouse, then a random direction is chosen with a random power based on the computer RNG.
    Last edited by Sulimo; September 17th, 2021 at 18:38. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Calibre2112 View Post
    Hey all,

My group is trying to find a comprehensive list of 'flags' or modifiers used in the 'Effects' table modifiers? For example: Light Spell; LIGHT: 10 <hex color code> etc.

We'd like to write our own effects, of course, and a list of the syntax to use would be very useful, indeed.

ALSO: we're noting very strange, typically low to very low results on the random number generator for all dice rolls. It's rare to see any rolls over 70, the majority rolls come up in the teens to the low 50s, and this over extended game play. Is the random number generator a CORE RPG function or something Dakadin coded, please?

thanks
    Cal
    There was a recent thread in effects and how to write them, although it's not comprehensive - you'll find it via the search function.

As for the dice rolls, my group has experienced wildly random rolls (noticeable since we started allowing Fate points for natural 100s and 66s) and have not seen any discernable trend in numbers rolled - my players have seen plenty of rolls over 70.

Strange, but I hope that puts your mind at rest.

Regards - Rainbird

The dice rolls are FGU. The actions to do the open-ended rolls needed to be coded but they use the dice in FGU.

I think I've included samples of all the effects that have coding associated with them in the Effects sidebar window so you would be able to see examples of them. The one thing to realize is that you can put a description in front of them followed by a ; which can be helpful at times.

So you could do something like this:
    Magic Ring; DB:10

Just be careful using certain punctuation like ; or : since it parses on those.

With regards to the dice and RNG, I ran a script over the logfiles that parsed the chat-output from rolls and showed the distribution of d100 rolls over a year, grouped by player/character. Everything was in the ranges I would expect/ like to see.

Ok, thanks Dak and strubbel! Well, then I guess we just suck at rolling LOL.

As for the code list. Dak, I hate to ask such a busy guy, but do you have a list of codes? DB, RR, etc? If not, no biggie: we'll figure it out.

thanks
    Cal

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calibre2112 View Post
    Ok, thanks Dak and strubbel! Well, then I guess we just suck at rolling LOL.

As for the code list. Dak, I hate to ask such a busy guy, but do you have a list of codes? DB, RR, etc? If not, no biggie: we'll figure it out.

thanks
    Cal
    Take a look in the Effects section - there are examples there.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Yeah, the examples are loaded with the different RMC modules so you can see what effects are available.

Thread Information