DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Turbo - Multiple Rulesets

Turbo optimized the performance of the Fantasy Grounds effect processing. It has shown an average performance improvement of 590% in the 5E ruleset's getEffectsByType function. One may see perfromance degreation in FG effects processing when:

• Actors in the CT have more than 15 effects active
    • CT is overloaded with Actors
    • Extensions are loaded which increase the load on the FG effects processing system

Turbo has been adapted to support various rulesets, including 5E, 4E, 3.5E/PFRPG, 2E, PFRPG2, and SFRPG, and can be customized to support additional rulesets. Performance gains in rulesets other than 5E are expected to be similar. While performance gains with Turbo may be mostly imperceptible, any improvement will help reduce the perceivable performance impacts caused by other sources.

A full report on analysis can be viewed FG Effect Processing Performance Improvements

Seems to good to be true. I know performance was also being looked at by smiteworks themselves. There must be some negative to this extn ?

The negative would be its an extension and all the same gotchas there. Other than that anyone is free to run experiments themselves.

What extn’s do you use and so we know you have in effect tested

The white paper details how the testing was done and what the results where. The constant in the entire thing was Better Combat Effects Gold because that is where the test harness was for my experiment. What other extensions that were also running was not consistant across the tests but the results showed that running with Turbo consistently outperformed the results when Turbo wasn't running. By not consistent I mean whatever extensions where loaded were the normal load out for that particular game. That all being said if anyone wants to run their own experiment to validate or invalidate my results go for it, that is what science is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by EllivasKram View Post
    What extn’s do you use and so we know you have in effect tested
    I've been testing this for a few months now and it's noticeable with higher levels of play using a lot of effects in the CT. I also use a ton of exts and never had an issue with Turbo causing an error or conflict.

I use windows so my testing data is not useful for the raw data, but I can tell you turning it on and off with 6 PCs in the CT with 15+ effects on each of them is noticeable, so I believe it's likely doing what it's meant to be doing while I was testing it.

EDIT: I got a few questions about what I meant about windows testing; Yes this works if you are using Windows OS; the issue came up in how we tracked data for how fast it was getting the information vs non turbo on effects. Windows OS was not able to get the data so precise in the information, where as other OS's was able to get very fast data tracking.
    If you read the report you will see more of what this is talking about. However, It is noticeable as I said under very high effects processing to be effective, and the other OS data tracking proved it.

I will test myself. I’m just hoping I’m not going to be walking naked in the steeets with all my players saying im wearing a most wonderful cloak

A number of my extensions for PFRPG and some other extensions for 5E I've looked at already have compatibility code in place to take advantage of this extension
    I get the concern of too good to be true, but there is absolutely room for optimization in some of these massive functions. The question is just which ones to focus on. When it comes to extensions and complex CTs, this one has a pretty noticeable impact in certain situations.

I'm emphatically jumping on this train with hopes that it will continue to grow and improve as the performance of FGU is THE primary issue that I (and many others) have with the platform.

At this point, many of us, couldn't care less about shiny new features if the fundamental performance problems aren't significantly improved.

Furthermore, MANY of us are done with being gaslit and dogpiled on the forums by SW fanboys as well as SW employees themselves when legitimate issues are raised. The "send me your log file" request is a meme at this point.

The minority is vocal, but the silent majority are not idiots and they're witness to these exchanges and SW is objectively damaging their brand as a consequence.

Anyway, I'm extremely appreciative that this work is taking place.

Well I gave it a go downloading the extension from rhagelstrom's github repo, and damn the difference IS impressive, at least in a high-level 5e campaign I run with one of my groups. The characters have complex races from MMOTM and a good number of magic items, and we use Aridhro's Automatic Effects modules so we have plenty of effects on each character: the improvement is more than noticeable, it's actually impressive.

Thread Information