5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Visible map but LOS for tokens?

Couldn't find an answer anywhere for this, but apologies in advance if I missed it. Is there some way to have a visible map but LOS for tokens only? My party is going into a keep for which they have the maps, so they know the layout, but obviously won't know where creatures are located. Worst case scenario I will use LOS as usual, but just wondering if there's some way to enable it only for the tokens.

Thanks!

LoS only works for tokens. So you can't 'see' the map if LoS is on. Basically the player is the token in this case.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    LoS only works for tokens. So you can't 'see' the map if LoS is on. Basically the player is the token in this case.
    No prob, thanks!

A workaround that you can use is to place the player's tokens on the map, disable LOS to show the entire map, then enable LOS such that they will have the entire map as "seen" but darker than what they can actually see for LOS. Then you can place their enemies on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by DCrumb View Post
    A workaround that you can use is to place the player's tokens on the map, disable LOS to show the entire map, then enable LOS such that they will have the entire map as "seen" but darker than what they can actually see for LOS. Then you can place their enemies on the map.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I can't seem to get it to work. I'm testing with a localhost connection to see the results - when I place a PC token on the map I disable LOS, which reveals the map on the player side, but then when I turn LOS back on everything disappears except for what the token can see. It's not a huge deal if it doesn't work but it would be easier.

Thanks again.

It's not a fun way of doing it but you can do this.

With the image open turn on LoS and add all the player tokens for the map. Close FGU.
    Open up the db.xml (while FGU is closed) in an editor. Find all the occluder sections for the map in question. Take all the points entries in the occluder sections and copy them (multiple points entries) to the fow section of the layer section for the token in the map.

<occluder>
    <id>59</id>
    <points>592.5,-752.8,582.6,-760.6</points> <=== Copy each of these lines
    </occluder>

<layer>
    <name>tokens/dwarf_female_noble_a_01.png@Character Tokens</name>
    <id>18</id>
    <parentid>-1</parentid>
    <type>token</type>
    <token>
    <name>bob2</name>
    <prototype>tokens/dwarf_female_noble_a_01.png@Character Tokens</prototype>
    <id>2</id>
    <visibility>mask</visibility>
    <fow>
    TO HERE
    Multiple points are allowed.

</fow>
    <lights>
    <light>
    <id>0</id>
    <position>389,-1789.5</position>
    <range>3,0.75,3,0.5</range>
    <color>#FFFFF3E1</color>
    <on />
    <animtype>1</animtype>
    <animspeed>0.25</animspeed>
    </light>
    </lights>
    </token>
    <matrix>0.15625,0,0,0,0,0.15625,0,0,0,0,1,0,389,-1789.5,0,1</matrix>
    </layer>

In the end you have a fow entry for all the areas that are defined for the map. So this might be what you want. However, ALWAYS backup your files before editing in this way.

I would highly suggest NOT editing map FoW in that way. You can cause data file corruption and data loss, requiring you to look into backup restoration.

JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; September 16th, 2021 at 15:22.

I agree it is certainly not ideal.

Thanks! Given my level of proficiency I'd be afraid to start tinkering, particularly since there are 6 maps - 1 for each level. Something, somewhere would go wrong! But I appreciate the help.

Hacky option: have two copies of the map and share both. One just an image that matches their map - the other the actual map with LOS where their tokens are placed from the combat tracker. This would let them flip to the map image anytime as a reference (as the PC would) but limit LOS on the 'real' map. Also would allow removing anything that has changed or things like secret doors to still make searching worthwhile and surprising.

Thread Information