FG Spreadshirt Swag

To folks who own "Secrets of Magic' ....

Greetings everyone,

This question is really just asking for your opinion based on value.

I am on the fence on purchasing the book 'Secrets of Magic' and not sure if it has new material (specifically new spells and feats) worth its purchase.

I am not overly concerned about the new classes as much as a someone saying > Ooo this is really cool and is only found in this book.

Should I get the book of course I'd buy the module/book here on FGU when it arrives.

Thank you for your comments.
    Ultimate License holder Unity & Classic.
    Currently GM'ing Homebrew Pathfinder 2.

Remember that if you purchase the PDF from Paizo, that you'll get the cost of the PDF off the price of the module later when you decide to get it.

And Nonat1s has release his review of the book on Youtube if you want to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlMKyaBI_jY

That's so hard to quantify, Larsenex. Value is very subjective. I've read through it and I would say it offers less to me than to some others, but I already have 2 players who've created new characters based on the material within it. The Magus was a class one of my players loved in PF1 and is looking forward to trying it in PF2. New Magic items are.. just that.. I find that I enjoy coming up with my own, but having new ideas isn't terrible. New Spells, and there are a ton, add variety and some interesting options for those who enjoy spellcasting classes. Certainly, there are already plenty of options that have come before Secrets, but to say that there's a end point where having some new toys to play with or to find, that's never going to be true. Depending on the diversity of your campaigns, there are some good ones in there that offer new variations to gameplay.

But by far, the hardest feature to quantify in the new book is the Book of Unlimited Magic that comes with it. There as some interesting variations to many of the existing classes, through actual class options or through archetypes or even how to interact differently with magic within a world: there's definitely value there for anyone wishing to introduce new ways of interacting with magic.

I'd suggest heading out to Archives and reading up on what's in there (under rules) to see if something peaks your interest.
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

I personally love the book! Really enhances the spell slinging experience. LOADS of new spells.

I think you should head over to archives of nethys and see for yourself what the new book offers in terms of crunch. https://2e.aonprd.com/Sources.aspx?ID=96

Now, considering whether you should buy the book on fantasy grounds, I'd say that choice comes purely down to whether you want to use the new classes or not. Adding spells, feats and items to your campaign in FGU is so easy, that you don't really need to buy a book to access them.

Of course, if you also want to support paizo and steamworks, who make such awesome products, you might want to buy the book even if it doesn't offer great value for money. But that's of course neither here nor there...

Thread Information