DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How do Most DM's handle multiple map levels

Just wondering how most of you are handling a map with multiple levels eg a tower. I recently ran the haunted mansion in GotSaltmarsh and placed one level over the other. It worked but since then ive just done them side by side.

I just make them separate maps.

There's also a 5E extension to allow players to move from map to map.

I hear good things about saltmarsh. Its on my wish list

Quote Originally Posted by CONN View Post
    Just wondering how most of you are handling a map with multiple levels eg a tower. I recently ran the haunted mansion in GotSaltmarsh and placed one level over the other. It worked but since then ive just done them side by side.
    Depends on the size of the map. I would do side by side image with LOS.

Using SHIFT drag token, you can move them to another level without them losing FOW (fog of war).

If they are really big maps, I would for sure just move them onto another map and FOW would be lost.

The EXT that was posted before just remember every time you use a portal it will lose FOW even if it's 10ft away. Having said that, it's really nice to have them change maps automatically.

The hard part comes in when a second level can see the first level however, you don't want to move them to a new map because then they wouldn't be able to see the first level anymore.

In those cases when that might happen, I tend to make the map where you can see 2 levels at a time, then split it to another area (same map) where you can see a diff 2 levels. It's more work but from I've seen is it almost always tends to happen.

All I do is make a folder place all the map items in it then make a second folder and do again1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

All I do is make a folder place all the map items in it then make a second folder and do again1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG Notice That all you do is hide the maps you don't want to use. Furthermore it works well with multiple levels so if you have a tower you can make it 5 levels or a hundred levels just put each level in separate folder.

In the past i would likely utilize the separate maps option unless it was only like a room or 2. But now that you lose the FoW when you move maps (BTW, you also lose the FoW if you use the helmet icons to move your whole party at once to a location so be careful on that one); I would go with the option of all 1 map with it having some separation so I know which one is which. Depending on what the map is would be if I would have them on top or side-by-side.

I do like the thought of the hide layers in an image and making separate folders for each level.

Thread Information