Starfinder Playlist

View Poll Results: Do you like the separate DC fields for each roll type

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I wish there was just one number (could be on the sheet multiple places)

15 23.44%
  • Yes, I like setting it for a specific type and leaving it

38 59.38%
  • Yes, but I would give it up to have DC fields on each of the expander trays

11 17.19%
Page 28 of 48 First ... 18262728293038 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludd_G View Post
    Firstly, would it be possible to have the option to auto de-select actors, once they have had the roll request sent and/or rolled?
    Probably. It would also help if Combat Groups set the CustomGetCombatantNodes because the eliminate the issue of tracking characters not visible in the CT.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludd_G View Post
    Hi,
    Secondly, would it be possible to have the option to send the roll request for NPCs but to have them all auto-roll?
    Maybe. This would probably look like any rolls sent to a character controlled by the GM automatically rolling.
    I am currently working on another project, so I probably wouldn't get to these anytime soon.

No worries. Thanks for having a look.

Cheers,

Simon

Firstly, thanks for reviving this - got used to the prior extensions as GM and now seeing even more benefit while playing - just such a core elements to make rolls quick/easy.

Now QotD: I went back a bit and didn't see this asked, but if I'm repeating, 1000 pardons: is there a way in the app as-is for the GM to send the roll with ADV / DISADV? Or is that on the 'future request' list for now?

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeDodger View Post
    Firstly, thanks for reviving this - got used to the prior extensions as GM and now seeing even more benefit while playing - just such a core elements to make rolls quick/easy.

Now QotD: I went back a bit and didn't see this asked, but if I'm repeating, 1000 pardons: is there a way in the app as-is for the GM to send the roll with ADV / DISADV? Or is that on the 'future request' list for now?
    Good Day BronzeDodger
    Just have the DM press the ADV or DIS in the lower left hand corner where the Modifier Box is before sending the request.

I love this extension, and many in my gaming group look at it as a favorite but...

Since the V2.0-beta release this extension is now using the Manual Dice Entry window to request rolls. This change caused several things immediately:

(C)onfusion (also see below)
    With lots of text, a manual entry box, and 3 things to click it's not intuitive that you should click the middle icon that looks (depending on resolution) like a die. Several clicked the more intuitive bottom right icon, prompting...

(A)mazement
    "...you can't roll a zero." This lead to concerns that dice rolling was now broken. And then...

(C)oncern
    "...hey, can we just input any number we want here? Has the GM been just assigning rolls based on favoritism...er...I mean you are a great GM, can I send you anything?"

(A)pprehension
    I typically only focus on results or roll totals in the Chat Window, thus I could easily miss the [Manual Entry] indicator if one of my players (who probably never knew a thing about Manual Entry before) put in a value in the box either as a joke, by mistake or for nefarious reasons and clicked OK.

Apologies if this has already been covered in a post elsewhere, will this be a permanent change or...?

NOTE:
    I should also note the confusion is exacerbated when using the Large Fonts extension (which I do):

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/376/view

It causes the Manual Dice Entry window to have overlapping text making things even more confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Minethulhu View Post
    I love this extension, and many in my gaming group look at it as a favorite but...

Since the V2.0-beta release this extension is now using the Manual Dice Entry window to request rolls. This change caused several things immediately:

(C)onfusion (also see below)
    With lots of text, a manual entry box, and 3 things to click it's not intuitive that you should click the middle icon that looks (depending on resolution) like a die. Several clicked the more intuitive bottom right icon, prompting...

(A)mazement
    "...you can't roll a zero." This lead to concerns that dice rolling was now broken. And then...

(C)oncern
    "...hey, can we just input any number we want here? Has the GM been just assigning rolls based on favoritism...er...I mean you are a great GM, can I send you anything?"

(A)pprehension
    I typically only focus on results or roll totals in the Chat Window, thus I could easily miss the [Manual Entry] indicator if one of my players (who probably never knew a thing about Manual Entry before) put in a value in the box either as a joke, by mistake or for nefarious reasons and clicked OK.

Apologies if this has already been covered in a post elsewhere, will this be a permanent change or...?

NOTE:
    I should also note the confusion is exacerbated when using the Large Fonts extension (which I do):

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/376/view

It causes the Manual Dice Entry window to have overlapping text making things even more confusing.
    I wonder how long it took you to come up with those headers. To solve the nefarious rolls problem, I suggest you get new players.
    Last edited by mccartysr; January 21st, 2022 at 06:14. Reason: spelling

I will briefly discuss my plans for this extension.

I have been working on this because I find it enjoyable to code and give back to the community with this FREE extension.

Regarding using the manual rolls window, I have clearly heard from some people that they don't like it. This is a relatively small subset of the 850 people who have subscribed to this extension. They have generally included specific details they wish were different and supporting reasons. Reworking the player window may be something I get to, if it seems like a task I would enjoy. I don't have a timeline because this is an unpaid hobby and I have a job. I didn't expect so many people to have not seen the manual rolls window before, and I needed a working interface for the player, so I could rewrite the backend and the console. I appreciate the feedback from testers during the beta phase.

I had to change the overall interface because the code was incredibly entangled with its backend code. Version 1 worked by intercepting and cancelling rolls while they were being formed and then creating DB nodes of the partially formed rolls to display to the user. This tended to conflict with any extension that modified the onRoll or modRoll functions for a supported roll type. i.e a lot of extensions. There were also a lot of areas where code was duplicated, which made updates hard. I needed to change the backend code so that I could hook into the chain at a different place. Now, the host fully creates the roll and then sends it to the players. This has eliminated almost all compatibility errors. With the skills I have now, I could probably make the console interface look mostly like v1, but I don't plan on stripping out the functionality I have added.

Things I like
    • Positive feedback
    • Error reports with supporting details. Describing your issue with reproducible steps (if you can figure out what triggers it), what extension is causing the conflict. Pictures can be nice too, but aren't always needed.
    • Constructive criticism. I welcome suggested solutions to the problem you see. I have incorporated a couple improvements in v1 and v2 from user suggested issues.

Things I don't like.
    • People comparing my work to excrement
    • Reporting errors without any details
    • Non-specific complaining
    • Describing your subjective preferences as objective

As another user of this extension and fellow extension author, I really like the new direction this extension took. The backend improvements may not be as visible, but they are a huge leap forward. I look forward to further advancements
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by mccartysr View Post

Things I don't like.
    • People comparing my work to excrement
    • Reporting errors without any details
    • Non-specific complaining
    • Describing your subjective preferences as objective
    I certainly hope my feedback didn't come across as insulting. I never really tested the module early on because there was a conflict with 5e-Indicators, which I could not give up at the time. I'm super stoked that it's working, but when I saw the manual roll window, I immediately saw the issues it would cause my players, similar to Minethulhu's feedback.

I really do appreciate all of your work on this. It's something Fantasy Grounds sorely needs (in my opinion) and I'd happily pay for it if you charged for it.

Either way, I appreciate the transparency and honestly. I know this is a lot of work and it's not something I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by mccartysr View Post

Things I don't [*]People comparing my work to excrement[*]Reporting errors without any details[*]Non-specific complaining[*]Describing your subjective preferences as objective[/LIST]
    Hey man i appreciate that you've taken thisb over and in my opinion improved it. Thank you!

Thread Information