FG Spreadshirt Swag

Initiative and Tactics(Military)

Hi

Quick question, I worked out that to get the tactics bonus on Initiative, you roll it after everyone has rolled init, but after the 1st round of combat, the bonus comes off and everyones init drops back to what they rolled.

The rulebook doesn’t actually make it clear whether that is what is supposed to happen or if it is supposed to last for the entire encounter. My thought is it would last the encounter, and I found the following rules:
    Characters who benefitted from Tactics at the start of combat and are later cut off from their commander have their Initiative lowered by the same amount it was boosted at the start of combat. Unlike other Initiative modifications, this lasts until combat ends or communication is re-established.

Thats from a section on Battlefield Communication on https://www.traveller-srd.com/core-rules/combat/ but not sure which edition that is meant for.

Thoughts? Any links to actual rulings?

SRD is for 1st edition, I believe. Mongoose change their rules on it and you cant make an SRD for 2nd edition.

And you ahve the tactics advantage as long as you're able to recieve orders from the person who made the tactic rolls. Thas what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWigggles View Post
    And you ahve the tactics advantage as long as you're able to recieve orders from the person who made the tactic rolls. Thas what it says.
    Can you point to the specific page in the Core Rules where it actually says that about having it while being able to receive orders?

The only reference I can find is on page 70, and it states:
    “So long as they are not surprised, one Traveller (or combatant under the referee's control) may make a Tactics check at the start of a combat. The Effect of this check is then applied to the Initiative of everyone on the same side.”

It does not specify a duration. Now logically, I would expect it to last until you lose contact with the tactics person, but the implementation in FG has it stopping after the 1st round.

On page 70 of the MTG2e core rule book under INITIATIVE it states that initiative is rolled at the start of combat and the effects of this check is his initiative for the duration of the combat. Since Tactics is a modifier under the INITIATIVE header you will roll tactics at the start of combat and it will add to the initiative, since it is added to teh initiative at the start of combat it lasts for the duration of the combat. It says nothing about staying within communication of the one that rolled tactics.
    Last edited by cdjensen99; September 3rd, 2021 at 11:29.

Maybe can have a Tactics DM Effect that gets applied on PCs that the GM can remove if he rules a PC no longer can benefit from another players Tactics

This is always a tricky one, for me it's like languages. In the future I see team members as all being in contact at all times, unless they say they're not, or it's known ahead of time they're not.
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Thread Information