STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Why not the limited edition leather copy price?
    The price is the price.
    Come now, the price of something is neither flippant nor unmovable. It's determined in order to maximise profit by balancing what the market will pay. I'm suggesting its current cost is reducing profit.

Blog Entries
    Sure sure you might be right.
    My boss told me today my wages are neither flippant or unmovable and they are going to pay me the same as the apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzter View Post
    Come now, the price of something is neither flippant nor unmovable. It's determined in order to maximise profit by balancing what the market will pay. I'm suggesting its current cost is reducing profit.
    Here you go, get to typing.

You are paying for the convenience of someone else's hard work putting that into Fantasy Grounds. At least Paizo will give you a PDF with it - it's a better deal than D&D 5th Edition, in which Wizards charges the same price as a hardcover for the PDF and you don't get a PDF with purchase of the Fantasy Grounds module, and 5th edition is also (okay, only the core core mechanics) OGL.

This is a niche industry of a niche industry and people's time is worth something. Just pay 'em.

My suggestion is to go directly to the publisher to ask for lower pricing, since they are the ones setting the prices and deciding what price brings in the best profit for them.

On a related note, we did get them to approve Pathfinder bundles recently, which is a nice discount for buying sets. We've found that publishers are more open to discounting over time...

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by stephan_ View Post
    I have only dabbled with Foundry - so take it with a grain of salt - but what others have pointed out seems to be the main point - the non-core-VTT stuff depends on volunteers updating it (with the associated problems like updates breaking stuff, volunteers leaving, ...).
    This comes at the benefit of the big rulesets being maintained by a group of people, though. So one member leaving does not leave the group dysfunctional and another one stepping up to fill a free position is always possible from within the community.

With FG I assume that when Trenloe gets ill, lacks time or decides that the compensation isn't good enough then development stops dead until the gate-keepers (SW) can negotiate someone else to take over?!

I’m not sure how your post is relevant to the discussion of publisher pricing.

Popularity of rulesets plays a big factor in how interested developers are in taking over rulesets; so I expect most Paizo systems to have a fair amount of support, especially the newest one.

JPG

I was obviously replying to a quoted post from this very thread?! Anyway, yes, the high ruleset price for PF2 on top of FGU's own price is one reason why none of my players seem interested in investing money into it. Another reason might be that I already paid for everyone with my Ultimate license and willingness to pay money for rulesets and modules in return for having this content curated.

It worth mentioning that the Foundry community developers explicitly don't seem to *want* compensation, on top of all the licensing stuff being complex and hard to handle with Paizo seemingly not having the manpower/interest to publish these themselves (for the time being).

You don't have to buy anything else if you don't want to - the SRD built into Fantasy Grounds gives you all the rule set functionality. But if you want the data entry done for you, then you have to pay. I put stuff into Fantasy Grounds on a regular basis, either because it is custom, not 'ported to the current system, or isn't for sale (yet).

Your best bet for a deal is to catch one of the Humble Bundles Paizo regularly puts out to snag a ton of PDFs at a steep discount, then after activating them with the humble bundle code syncing your Paizo account with Fantasy Grounds, grab corresponding modules - because it doesn't take off what you paid for the PDF but discounts what the PDF goes for in the Paizo store. Alternatively, there are other systems on Fantasy Grounds that are maintained by fans because there isn't enough interest (or other reasons) to officially support. Personally, I find the pricing reasonable (especially compared to D&D 5e), and would rather have a Fantasy Grounds module that I can share with all my players than a nice hard cover sitting on a shelf or worse - players having to share.

Tabletop roleplaying has a low cost of entry in that you need a book and some dice and some friends. But the rabbit hole goes deep and the good stuff costs money. And it's still cheaper than being a Warhammer player.

My 5 cents about this.
    if you don´t want to by the Mods for FG its OK, you can create youre own. its al lot of work for you. You find an Ton of Vids on Youtube how to do this. But if you dont have the Time for this, then you have to pay for ist. The Price is the Price Take it or leave it.
    Greetings

Text Written by Me and translated by Deepl ;-)

Thread Information