Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    similar issue. OS: Vista 64, FG2, Savage Worlds for FG2. Unzipping the file reveals some unplayable mpegs, another zipped folder, a press brief.txt and a readme.txt which tells me to place included files in C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II
    first I tried this with the additional file unzipped which does make a "Fantasy Grounds II" folder but FG2 still wouldn't allow Savage Worlds to be selected, so then I tried it unzipped "SWRuleset" thinking "well maybe FG2 unzips it and puts files where it wants it" and of course that didn't work either.

/boggled.

thanks.

The deployment of the Savage Worlds ruleset is poor. The readme is wrong, the actual ruleset folder does not have the word "ruleset" in it. They should have done a step by step installation guide. I probably would have been smacked hard if I wrote a readme that bad.

From the beginning:
    1) Unzip DGA040SavageWorldsII.zip. You will get a useful pdf & a folder called SW Ruleset.

2) Inside the SW Ruleset you will find four .mod files, another zip file and two files without extensions (these are text files). Copy all the .mod files in your Fantasy Grounds II\modules folder. You can find this folder by clicking the start button, clicking All Programs and then clicking on Fantasy Grounds II, then selecting Application Data Folder.

3) Unzip the SavageWorld_FG2_Final.zip. This will take a while because it has about 600 files. You will get a single folder called SavageWorlds. *This* is the ruleset folder. Copy this folder over into the Fantasy Gounds II\rulesets folder. Once again you can find it by clicking the start button, clicking All Programs and then clicking on Fantasy Gounds II, then selecting Application Data Folder.

I like this ruleset a ton, but man - what lousy packaging. After one unzip the PDF, readme, press sheet and modules should have been in the first folder along with the unzipped ruleset folder which should have actually been called something like SW_Ruleset_1_0. There was no reason to keep zipping that thing. It is ludicrous to call this final. We know there are going to be some updates all the “finals” should have been called 1.0. That way the name of the ruleset will tell you the version number.
    Last edited by Griogre; September 21st, 2007 at 20:52.

Hey Griogre, can I copy and paste your install directions into a SW for FG wiki?

Saves me the trouble of typing them up.

rv

Sure, be my guest.
    Last edited by Griogre; September 30th, 2007 at 23:15.

didn't work. This has been a colossal waste of time and money. Guess I'll wait for the online tabletop aids for D&D 4x next summer. Specifically now all that happens is d20 ruleset is shown defaulted and greyed out so I can't choose any ruleset.

robo..are you placing the four sw mods in the modules folder? when I look at your path I see that you're installing them into the main Fantasy Ground II folder not the modules folder.

I unzipped using winrar and it allows me to manually 'grab' stuff and put it where I want. This may be part of your problem if you are not placing the files in the correct folder, you should do it manually.

The way to check to see where the SW files should go is easy; just find your d20 files (they show up as media files as windows doesn't know what to do with them). Thats where you should be putting those pesky files.

Quote Originally Posted by robocoastie
    didn't work. This has been a colossal waste of time and money. Guess I'll wait for the online tabletop aids for D&D 4x next summer. Specifically now all that happens is d20 ruleset is shown defaulted and greyed out so I can't choose any ruleset.

I didn't work on the readme so if it can be improved please send an e-mail with suggestions to [email protected].

So your structure looks something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    The deployment of the Savage Worlds ruleset is poor. The readme is wrong, the actual ruleset folder does not have the word "ruleset" in it. They should have done a step by step installation guide. I probably would have been smacked hard if I wrote a readme that bad.

From the beginning:
    1) Unzip DGA040SavageWorldsII.zip. You will get a useful pdf & a folder called SW Ruleset.

2) Inside the SW Ruleset you will find four .mod files, another zip file and two files without extensions (these are text files). Copy all the .mod files in your Fantasy Grounds II\modules folder. You can find this folder by clicking the start button, clicking All Programs and then clicking on Fantasy Grounds II, then selecting Application Data Folder.
    Keep in mind that this will work for Vista, but you will have to find the folder itself for XP. If you are comfortable with winRar, you can select the module files and extract those straight to the

\\\VISTA\\\
    User\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\modules folder.

\\\XP\\\
    User\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II

3) Unzip the SavageWorld_FG2_Final.zip. This will take a while because it has about 600 files. You will get a single folder called SavageWorlds. *This* is the ruleset folder. Copy this folder over into the Fantasy Gounds II\rulesets folder. Once again you can find it by clicking the start button, clicking All Programs and then clicking on Fantasy Gounds II, then selecting Application Data Folder.
    It is easier to just unzip/unrar these to the

\\\VISTA\\\
    User\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\ruleset folder.

\\\XP\\\
    User\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\ruleset folder.

While inside WinRar, highlight the SavageWorld_FG2_Final.zip, and click the "extract to" button, and fill in the path as above. This will place the whole folder inside the ruleset folder for you.

While inside Winzip, click the arrow beside the "extract to:" button and fill in the path as above.

I like this ruleset a ton, but man - what lousy packaging. After one unzip the PDF, readme, press sheet and modules should have been in the first folder along with the unzipped ruleset folder which should have actually been called something like SW_Ruleset_1_0. There was no reason to keep zipping that thing. It is ludicrous to call this final. We know there are going to be some updates all the “finals” should have been called 1.0. That way the name of the ruleset will tell you the version number.
    I see where you may be saying that we could have made things a lot easier on the user. The caveat here is that we have no way of knowing for sure where the user placed their FG files, what operating system they are using, what version of FG they are running etc. So we have to make a base for everyone. While it is not the touch and go of different games out there, it is not designed to be. The ruleset itself is zipped so that we can work around bandwidth issues, and keep the file sizes lower.

We also will not call a file something like SW_Ruleset_1_0 because that can lead to confusion. If there is a major change to the ruleset, we ensure that everyone who bought a copy of this ruleset will get the relevant changes via email.

These rulesets undergo a LOT of testing from the DA crew, but understand there is a little bit of a human element involved here. We also are doing this for the community, most of us on our spare time. Sometimes some things fall through the cracks. It is best, if there are any issues with your installations, or if you do not understand something, drop one of us a line, we will be more than glad to help. My email is available to anyone that has a question.

Cheers,

Sandeman
    Last edited by kalmarjan; October 8th, 2007 at 03:38.
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

Thread Information