STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

5E - Single Click Action

Update 2021-09-08: Version 4.1.6 disables double-click on all buttons so this extension is no longer needed.

Super tiny extension that prevents players from accidentally double-clicking on power action buttons and in doing so, casting a spell twice or doing damage or healing twice.

Why
    Having to double-click on weapon attacks but single-click on spell attacks regularly causes mistakes and head-scratches from newer or infrequent players. Having to fix spell attack and damage rolls live also causes delays on my end during combat.

Links
    Last edited by fxg42; September 8th, 2021 at 21:08.

Nice one.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks!

Very interesting. I like the simplicity of addressing the symptom without needing a re-design.

I might play around with this concept some more; though I have some other ideas on how to block without clock tracking. One of the things you mentioned was the dissonance between the weapons and spells for buttons/fields. I've thought about adding the buttons to weapons, but the PF/3.5E multi-attack always throws me off. Might just force limited buttons for those cases. I'm still considering whether blocking double clicks on buttons will be confusing to users that try to click multiple times, if I did add buttons (i.e. fighter multi-attack in 5E)

Thanks,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Very interesting. I like the simplicity of addressing the symptom without needing a re-design.
    Thank you for the kind feedback! You're completely correct in that the actual issue is the "sometimes I should double-click, sometimes I should single-click" and there is certainly a better solution to that than disabling double-click Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    I think in situations where you need to make two attacks it would not be hard for us to get used to waiting 1s between attacks. I think most people that I have played with tend to let the first attack resolve before doing the second attack anyway. That is particularly important in the case where the first roll is a critical success and extra damage is auto calculated.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I think in situations where you need to make two attacks it would not be hard for us to get used to waiting 1s between attacks.
    Thanks! As it stands, the extension makes it so that clicks that occurs within about 500ms of the last roll are ignored. This could probably be shorten to 300ms or maybe even 200ms. I tested the extension yesterday with a group where a player is notorious for double-clicking spell attacks -- haven't had a single issue all session

Quote Originally Posted by fxg42 View Post
    Super tiny extension that prevents players from accidentally double-clicking on power action buttons and in doing so, casting a spell twice or doing damage or healing twice.
    Beautiful!
    I don't play 5E, but this is a wonderfully simple workaround for a very common issue.
    Also, thanks for having a git repo.
    Last edited by bmos; August 30th, 2021 at 13:23.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    Beautiful!
    I don't play 5E, but this is a wonderfully simple workaround for a very common issue.
    Thank you so much!

Gonna hop on the praise wagon here, very nice job!
    My Forge creations: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/9/view-profile
    My GitHub: https://github.com/MeAndUnique
    Buy me a coffee: https://ko-fi.com/meandunique
    Discord: MeAndUnique#6805

Thread Information