DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: XML reference

XML reference

Hi folks,
    I may be diving into the deep end here, but I tend to do that.
    I've written an excel based character generator for PF1e. It helps me remember all the little tweaks I tend to forget, and it's way cheaper than HeroLab (i.e. free). I realized that because of the way I wrote it, I ought to be able to export XML readable in Fantasy Grounds. At least, that's what I think. I'm a bush league, self-taught computer hack (not hacker!) that can sometimes pull off some crazy stuff. But this isn't working for me and I was hoping someone could point me to a primer for how to format NPCs so they can be used with FG's import tool.

My workflow:
    I created a basic campaign with one of the PF bestiaries as the only loaded module.
    I created my own NPC, copying the stat block letter-for-letter to match the paid-module block.
    I exported the module, using the Library->Export, and selected only NPCs.
    I renamed the resulting .mod file into a .zip.
    I opened the db.xml file within the .zip.
    I reverse-engineered what parts of the .xml had been populated from the FG NPC.
    I programmed my character generator to produce a .xml identical to that one, as well as one that had a new NPC I wanted to add.
    I renamed each of those files (in independent tests) to db.xml
    I zipped each of those files (in independent tests) into .zip files, and added a copy of the definition.xml that I had found in my original export.
    I renamed each of those .zip files (in independent tests) into .mod files.
    I put copies of those .mod files in the modules directory.

When I try to find the modules in the Library->Modules, they are not there.
    If I use the import button in the NPC tab, it is clearly looking for a .xml file. However, selecting my .xml files, whether named db.xml or using their original names creates a new, generic, "new personality", with none of the fields populated per the values I know the .xml files contain.

Any help folks can point me toward is greatly appreciated.

It might be best to have a look at the module itself and see what it's structure looks like. Can you post it here?
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Think I've got this figured out...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yeah, loads fine for me in 3.5e ruleset
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

So then either I'm filing it wrong, or I don't understand the import process properly. Can you describe your process after you download it?

I placed the .mod file into the modules folder of my Fantasy Grounds. This allows it to be available when loading a campaign of that ruleset. To quickly get to that file structure, click on the folder icon on the dashboard before you log into the campaign.

capture.png

Then I load up the campaign and open the library and load the module.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

If you are creating modules, restart FG. You should then be able to see the module you created as it will rescan your modules folder at load.

It has been a while, but for Classic this was the case and I don't recallif Unity has the same limitation.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Right file

Oops. That was the exported one. This is the one I created...

Quote Originally Posted by drakir View Post
    Oops. That was the exported one. This is the one I created...
    You are missing a definition.xml and the xml file isn't called db.xml or client.xml. It won't accept your custom naming.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

Wow I look like an idiot. Sorry about that. I did follow the process I described, but misplaced my file, somehow.

The attached mod has been double checked.

It ought to show up as "Sherrif Belor Hemlock", if I understand properly. (I'm aware I misspelled Sheriff)
    It had both a db.xml containing the NPC and the definition.xml copied from an earlier one.

I really appreciate you continuing to check in on my ham-fisted ambling.

Thread Information