DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Most modern DSL modem/routers have a web interface nowadays. I looked up your model, and it certainly seems to have one. Try opening the IP address of your default gateway (you can find that by running ipconfig /all) in your favorite browser. You will probably get a web page that needs authentication. I hope you know how to log on, cause I certainly don't, but usually the default set of credentials for your model modem/router can be found on the internet somewhere.

Now once you're in, look for something that's called port forwarding or similar. You should configure it so that any request coming in on port 1802 on the internet side of your modem/router are forwarded to the IP address of your machine running FG2 on your local network side of your modem/router.

Hope that makes sense to you!

Hamish

you lost me a little

I think I did what you said. I did this

Allow all applications (DMZplus mode) – Set the selected computer in DMZplus mode. All inbound traffic, except traffic which has been specifically assigned to another computer using the “Allow individual applications” feature, will automatically be directed to this computer. The DMZplus-enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opened for that computer.

Is that good?

Note: when I had one of my players log on to an alias before it used to say almost immedetly "cannot connect to host." but now, after above, it said "connecting to host" for a couple seconds then said he couldn't. So I think we made a little progress. maybe. hopefully

PS: I've seen people post there Alias to see if they can connect. should I do this?
    Last edited by Kunsgnos; August 24th, 2007 at 04:45.

An alias can be changed easily so I think you can go ahead and post it.
    Your IP is another mather though, do not give your ip adress on any board
    Always keep it in perspective!

Quote Originally Posted by Kunsgnos
    I think I did what you said. I did this

Allow all applications (DMZplus mode) – Set the selected computer in DMZplus mode. All inbound traffic, except traffic which has been specifically assigned to another computer using the “Allow individual applications” feature, will automatically be directed to this computer. The DMZplus-enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opened for that computer.

Is that good?

Note: when I had one of my players log on to an alias before it used to say almost immedetly "cannot connect to host." but now, after above, it said "connecting to host" for a couple seconds then said he couldn't. So I think we made a little progress. maybe. hopefully

PS: I've seen people post there Alias to see if they can connect. should I do this?
    DMZ is not really optimal (and it often doesn't work). Basically you opened all your ports. Ideally you just want to open port 1802. You are getting warm though. What you want to do is allow selected applications. There is a manual for your hardware here: https://www.2wire.com/index.php?p=266
    Right click and download the User Manual for 2700. FG is unlikely to be on the list of Applications so you will need to add it. I only glanced through it but the manual seems good.

Briefly the important part starts around Pg 42 and is:

Hosting an Application
    When you host an application on your network for Internet users to access, you must configure the 2Wire
    gateway firewall to pass through specific application data to a selected computer.
    To host an application:
    • Open a Web browser and access the gateway user interface by entering
    https://2Wire.gateway.net.
    • Click the Firewall tab.

Updating the Application Profile List
    If the application you want to host does not appear in the Application Profile list, you may need to update
    the application list. If an update is available, the UPDATE APPLICATION LIST button appears above the list of
    application profiles. If the application that you want to host is not included in the updated application list,
    you may need to add your own application profile.

Adding an Application Profile
    If you wish to host an application that is not included in the Application Profile list, you can add an
    application using the Add Application Profile page.
    An application profile configures your system’s firewall to pass through application-specific data. This
    feature is typically used if the application for which you would like to pass through data to a given computer
    is new or has been recently updated to a new version.
    To create a new application profile:
    • Open a Web browser and access the gateway user interface by entering
    https://2Wire.gateway.net.
    • Click the Firewall tab.
    • Click the Firewall Settings link under the tab to open the Edit Firewall Settings page.
    • In the Applications panel, click the Add a new user-defined application link to open the Edit Application
    page.
    Figure 18. Edit Application Page
    Firewall Tab
    1. In the Application Name field, enter a name for the application profile. You can enter any name you like,
    although it’s recommended that you use the name of the application (for example, Redwing Game
    Server).
    2. In the Definition panel, create a definition for your application.
    A definition consists of a series of protocol-specific ports that are to be allowed through the firewall.
    This information should be contained in the documentation provided by the company that produces the
    application.
    a. In the Protocol field, select the TCP or UDP radio button. If the application you are adding requires
    both, you must create a separate definition for each.
    b. In the Port (or Range) field, enter the port or port range the application uses.
    For example, some applications may require only one port to be opened (such as TCP port 500);
    others may require that all TCP ports from 600 to 1000 be opened.
    c. In the Protocol Timeout (seconds) field, you may optionally enter a value for the amount of time that
    can pass before the application “times out.” You can also leave the field blank, in which case the
    system uses the default values (86,400 seconds for the TCP protocol; 600 seconds for the UDP
    protocol).
    d. In the Map to Host Port field, enter a value that will map the port range you established in step b to
    the local computer. For example, if you set the value to 4000 and the range being opened is 100 to
    108, the forwarded data to the first value in the range will be sent to 4000. Subsequent ports will
    be mapped accordingly; 101 will be sent to 4001, 102 will be sent to 4002, etc.
    e. From the Application Type drop-down menu, select the application type. If you do not know the
    application type, select None (Default).
    3. Click ADD DEFINTION to add the values to the profile definition list.
    4. Click DONE.
    Repeat these steps for each port or range of ports required for the application profile.

Assuming that Griogre has the right manual, that sounds like a pretty thorough explanation. Only thing I'd like to add is that you need to forward TCP and only on port 1802. No need for UDP or any other ports.

Gracies

All is well friends. thank you soooooo very much.

Glad it worked. It can be very frustrating the first time you have to mess with your hardware. Now that you have done it once the next time you need to set up a server will be *so* much easier.

darn tooting

I learned a lot about computers this week. I am helping my other buddy now who is going to GM. thank you soo much.

Thread Information