FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Project organization

My work is progressing and since I continue to consider myself a total inexperienced I turn to you for advice.
    From what I understand the ruleset can contain rules and data, the module contains data, the extension contains
    behaviors (rules?) - right now I don't care about themes.

The system that I am implementing from the paper point of view is like this:
    • manual 1 - is the basic manual, contains the rules, races and professions
    • manual 2 - is the manual that explains how magic works, contains spells, but the rules are in manual 1
    • manual 3 - is the combat manual, it explains how weapons and armor work, but the rules are in manual 1
    • manual 4 - is the manual of advanced magic, contains advanced rules for magic and new professions
    • manual 5 - is the advanced race manual, contains advanced race rules and introduces new ones
    • manual 6 - is the monster manual with rules and descriptions

Usually the first 3 manuals are enough to play, but I would like to be able to have the others available as well,
    on request.

I've thought about a bit of architecture and I need your advice. I would lean towards solution B, but I don't know
    if it's the best and if there are better ways to organize the work. From the point of view of system distribution,
    solution C seems really annoying to me.

Solution A.
    ruleset - I put all the rules here, even those of the advanced manuals (4 and 5), perhaps adjusting their
    application with an option and with the presence of the loaded manuals
    modules - I make a module for each manual with the corresponding data

Solution B
    ruleset - I put all the rules here, even those of the advanced manuals (4 and 5), perhaps adjusting their
    application with an option and with the presence of the loaded manuals, and add the data of the basic manual
    (or the first 3)
    modules - I make a module for each manual with the corresponding data (not the 1st one or the first 3)

Solution C
    ruleset - I put here only the rules of the basic manual, including the data
    modules - I make a module for each manual with the corresponding data
    extension - I make an extension with the rules of the manual

What do you recommend?
    Thanks in advance.
    FGU ULTIMATE License
    Click here for RPG Music or here for Dwarves songs on Spotify

The ruleset is the functional layout for your system. The character sheet, NPC sheet, item attributes, combat tracker. It's what makes Fantasy Grounds work specifically for your system.

Extensions are just that, extending the functionality of the ruleset. If a supplement changes the character sheet slightly, or you want a separate theme for the various frames, this goes in the extension.

The module holds the reference text for the system. All the rules, and data, goes here. For NPCs/monsters, races, etc., you can create the data in an open campaign and then cut & paste the data from the campaign file (db.xml) to the module. Or you can start with an exported module containing the data and then add the rules and other surrounding text to the module.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Blog Entries
    Ruleset is not just the rules.
    It is the computer programming that allows Fantasy Grounds to adjudicate or apply the action the PCs or NPCs take.
    It does not contain rules for humans to read.

The mod contains all that.
    The module should come in two (or maybe more) parts.
    One part Players should have access to and one part Players should not have access to - eg Monsters.

Blog Entries
    Don't put any "text" or anything to read in the ruleset. It is just all the game mechanics and the object records (PC, NPC, etc sheets). You can make a base ruleset for the mechanics present in modules 1-3 and extensions for the extra mechanics in modules -6, or you can just put it all in one. One is probably easier, but you might want the segregated approach so you work towards a minimal viable product.

The create a FG module for each of the modules 1-6, so that they can be built, loaded and organized just like the printed books.
    EDIT: Oh, and as damned says, if the modules have player vs GM facing material, then separate those into different FG modules. Plus you might want to include a 3rd "map" module" so that GMs can load and edit maps easier than if they are in the GM module.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I do not understand. MOD can contain LUA?

PS ty all
    FGU ULTIMATE License

Any sheet layout (XML) and automation (Lua script) goes into the ruleset (.pak), or extension (.ext) if not part of the base functionality of the system.
    The reference library module (.mod) contains all of the text and data. All rules, races, professions, spells, monsters, etc. would go into the module. The module is XML and HTML.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Blog Entries
    Look at existing examples in FG. For example, 5E is a ruleset (and you can open it up) and is a child of the CoreRPG ruleset. You will see if you start a campaign using either of those ruleset and you don't load any modules, you will see the character sheets are all laid out, you can manually enter all the data you want, but that there is nothing included. Then go and load the SRD modules. You can even open those up. They contain the text of the rules, and the actual classes, and weapons, and spells, and NPCs etc.

Follow the same approach and you will be good.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'm so confused. Let's try with an example.

Let's say we have two paper manuals: the basic manual defines the races and these have 3 stats.
    The expansion manual, in addition to defining new races, adds 2 more stats, bringing them to 5.

I thought of putting the basic manual data in the ruleset, while I imaginethe expansion manual data
    in the module, as well as the modified version of the character sheet.

The problem is: where do I put the LUA code that manages the two new stats?
    According to Solution B I thought of putting it in the ruleset, subordinating its use to the presence/loading
    of the module and maybe even to an option.
    FGU ULTIMATE License

Thread Information