5E Character Create Playlist
    Blog Entries

A way to fudge rolls with the rolling animation

I am a big advocate for the DM to be able to fudge rolls. Now I know this is hotly contested by some but my intention is make story lines flow my way, NOT to control every roll the players make. In fact, I do have an extension that makes the players roll what I want BUT the preset number shows up as the final text number and the 3D dice display what they actually roll, and the players can see the difference. Within my own group, my players know I do this and trust me to do it for story purposes only. Also, the only solution I have to this is that I have the players black out the text numbers on the dice themselves, then they can't see the difference between what I preset and their actual roll. And I know the dice tower can be used but it's not quite the same. In my view, it's just as suspicious to ask the players to roll in the dice tower, because then they know the DM has their own intent. This idea would have the player's never suspecting when I preset a number...

I know the die rolls are physics based, but is it possible to have NO number assignment on any of the die sides but make it look like they do but perhaps blurred? Then when the dice finally land, the number that the DM chose comes into focus. Could this be done in Unity?
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

At this point, there are no plans like that. It would be something to add to the feature request list.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    At this point, there are no plans like that. It would be something to add to the feature request list.

Regards,
    JPG
    Hi Moon Wizard,
    I was thinking more about a personal extension being made and if it would be possible for that idea in Unity. I have suggested it in the feature request, but I don't think it will get so many votes that it will be a feature FG focuses on.

You could try manipulating the manual dice option with an extension. This extension does a little of what I think you're talking about and may be worth looking at for inspiration.
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srbongo View Post
    You could try manipulating the manual dice option with an extension. This extension does a little of what I think you're talking about and may be worth looking at for inspiration.
    That's an interesting extension, I'll have to play around with that. Although, it looks like the players put in their own number based on a manual roll? Here is the extension I use. The manual die roll entry is on the DM screen so only I see it. I put in a number of my choosing. In this case, I wanted Shandorf to roll a 20. His actual die roll was a 5, but the text number says 20. The problem is the players can see the difference between what the text number is and the what the 3D dice rolled. I usually just have my players black out the text on their die so they can't see the difference. And even then there is another text number that says what the actual roll is, so this is not a foolproof way to fudge the dice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Niles; May 2nd, 2024 at 00:26.

Thread Information