Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    After testing with a couple Mac M1 users, it looks like there may be multiple issues going on here. (additional security requirement on M1 Macs; as well as possibly need to get binaries for multiple coding libraries for M1 Macs). Since this is not something we have the equipment or bandwidth for right now, and the fact that the M1 Macs are running the Intel version via Rosetta just fine, we're going to stay with the Intel-only build for now and re-visit based on M1 usage growth.

Regards,
    JPG

I have an M1 where do I sign up

As noted in my previous post, we’ve decided to shelve an M1 native build for now as the Intel Mac build runs fine on both and the work needed for a native M1 build is beyond the scope of the time and equipment we have at this time.

Regards,
    JPG

I am happy to test FGU on mac. I have a macbook air m1. Only 8GB RAM and 256GB HD, but happy to test.

I'm a developer myself, so should be able to give you some useful feedback.

If I can find the time, I would also be happy to help out with future testing. I have one of the new MacBook Pros with an M1 Max CPU.

I'm also a software engineer by trade, so I wouldn't be afraid of doing a paired testing session of even loading up Unity while paired. I just don't want to see native support for ARM Macs end up dragging out well past the point it is required as 64-bit support did.

Again, if I am able to set aside the time.

I am interested in this, and like @BergQuester, would like to help to avoid native support for Apple Silicon lagging. My main Mac is Intel-based but I can run on an M1 device for testing. I currently DM in FGU but do not join as a player. If there were a test game set up, I would be willing to play.

I'd be interested in what the statistics are for Mac usage overall, and the split between Intel and Apple Silicon Macs, if Smiteworks were willing to share general numbers/trends.

I have a Macbook Air M1 and will be downloading FGU demo... If it works well on the laptop, Ill buy.

The last update on the Apple Silicon native version seems to be almost a year ago. Is support for the new CPUs moving higher in the priority list?

There appear to be a number of problems that are possibly related to Rosetta on Apple Silicon Macs:

FGU crashing

Dice sound disappeared on macOS

Fantasy Grounds Unity immediately crashes in macOS Ventura

From what I could tell of the crash reports/logs and other information posted in these threads, they appear exclusively on Apple Silicon Macs. Having a native version of FGU would bypass the Rosetta Intel translation that may be at the root of these problem.

It also sounds like FGU for macOS is built on macOS 10.15. The last release, macOS 10.15.7, is now nearly three years old (October 2019). This is almost an eternity in macOS development, for good or ill, especially for a smaller cross-platform development company. Depending on the FGU platform statistics for Macs, it may be useful to reconsider support for older macOS versions. Apple itself is dropping support for quite a few models with the upcoming macOS Ventura. There are still Intel Mac models supported, but there are also more and more models of Apple Silicon Macs being introduced.

I don't know what limitations exist for building FGU for Apple Silicon / Universal2. I'm just closer to the Mac platform / ecosystem and hope to provide a bit of that perspective.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity on macOS Monterey (v12) with an Intel Mac

The priority has not changed at this point, as everything has been working pretty well.

Some notes:
    • The threads you posted are not relevant to M1s specifically, but mostly related to changing OS versions.
    • The first thread you posted is a year old, and not tied to an active current issue.
    • The second thread is an intermittent issue (as reported by user), and not reported by other users; so unlikely to be systemic issue.
    • The third thread was literally just posted this morning, and is related to a beta version of an OS (which we don't support until release, due to previous scenarios just like this, i.e. beta OS not working with apps).
    • In order to support backward compatibility to allow FG to run on older Mac OS versions, our build machine needs to be installed with the build I have. (though bmos did mention dual booting Mac OS versions I might investigate eventually if my machine can handle.)
    • Unfortunately, it is non-trivial to "not update" older Mac users; as our ruleset code depends on changing to new builds, people are using older machines (and would suddenly "not work"), and our patch system has no way to differentiate by OS version (and based on other items, probably isn't generally a good idea to differentiate).
    • Additionally, we have no way currently to support M1 vs. Intel application delivery (i.e. our patch system has a single channel for Mac builds); so it would require new development of code that does not have an active developer (including server, updater and client changes) at this point.

I'm going to close this thread, because this was related to a specific request by me a year ago that is not relevant right now.

EDIT: As pointed out by @BergQuester, I had forgotten that the Mac offers a "universal build" that should work for a single channel patch system. Now that my memory has been jogged, I do remember that when I tried to build the universal build last year that it didn't work, because we don't have an M1 Mac to develop/test on, nor M1 builds for all the libraries we use (Lua, Skia, etc.).

Regards,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; August 4th, 2022 at 17:18.

Thread Information