5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 17 First 1234513 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by nephranka View Post
    If you have the option to enforce concentration checks on, then it sees each aura application as a concentration spell due to the (C) on the end. You would need to remove the (C) in the aura code and add a separate effect to track the concentration.
    Should I set FROMAURA effects to not include "(C)"? Is that always right at the end?

If you have the option to enforce concentration checks on, then it sees each aura application as a concentration spell due to the (C) on the end. You would need to remove the (C) in the aura code and add a separate effect to track the concentration.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    Should I set FROMAURA effects to not include "(C)"? Is that always right at the end?
    @bmos, no you need the (C) on each FROMAURA to remove it from them when the conc fails. As long as the FROMAURA is being applied from a target. The (C) effect is being tracked as who needs to do the conc check.

The Spirit Guardians is working perfectly, you can use that as an example. Anyone with the FROMAURA effect applied by the AURA, has the effect "FROMAURA; Spirit Guardians; IF; FACTION (foe); SAVES: WIS 15 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; (C)"
    They do not need to make a conc check if they have that effect on them. However, if the person who applied it fails their conc check, then the FROMAURA is removed (as it should).

(NOTE: WIS 15 was used because that's what my caster had it as for the DC)

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    @bmos, no you need the (C) on each FROMAURA to remove it from them when the conc fails. As long as the FROMAURA is being applied from a target. The (C) effect is being tracked as who needs to do the conc check.
    But if the person benefiting from FROMAURA casts a spell, doesn't incorrectly remove FROMAURA (just on them)? If so, maybe I could just change the function that does that to ignore FROMAURA effects...

But if the person benefiting from FROMAURA casts a spell, doesn't incorrectly remove FROMAURA (just on them)? If so, maybe I could just change the function that does that to ignore FROMAURA effects...
    The enforce conc checks would do this to any spell cast on another player that is also a conc spell caster. ALL spell casters that apply effects that are on a conc effect need that (C) on every effect they apply else you lose the effect checking.

Example.

I cast on you and your 3 friends bane. I don't need the (C) effect on me. I only need it on you and your 3 friends. If I get hit, because I've got effects out there that are related to me with a (C) on them. I would do a conc check.

So the enforce conc checks isn't even going to do anything. Because if it's checking myself for a (C) then that would only mean it's an effect from someone else, or an effect that is effecting me.

Not all CONC spells apply an effect to the caster itself. So I see no way of your current coding of checking for a (C) on the caster to see if they should be enforced into a limit to work. The way you would need to do it is if the "Applied by" of the (C) effect, is also the one you are doing the "enforced check"

Also you would need to make sure every spell that is cast that is a conc effect applies that (C) effect to the caster to insure they are being correctly enforced.

Given that Bane example. I wouldn't normally put the "Bane; (C)" effect on me. Some people do to do better tracking of who is concentrating on a spell. But it's not required for proper conc checks.

So in order for this to work correctly, you would need to turn that setting to on, that setting would need to be recoded to only check (C) effects that are applied by the current target of the effect, and they would need to make sure to put on a noted effect with (C) in it each time, even if no other effects would be applied to them.

Oh forgot to talk about the second part.

If you were to remove the (C) from the FROMAURA, it would break all the conc effect tooling of removing the effect if they failed conc.

If you were to remove the (C) from the FROMAURA, it would break all the conc effect tooling of removing the effect if they failed conc.
    Only because that is how the Aura Effects code works right now. I'm asking if I should change the code (as I'm one of the principal maintainers of that extension right now) so it only had the (C) or AURA but not FROMAURA but is still able to remove the FROMAURA effects when concentration on AURA is broken.
    Last edited by bmos; August 21st, 2021 at 18:37.

So to clarify:

MrDDT is correct that the system uses (C) to manage concentration checks. The default behavior is working correctly.

What I am pointing out is that if you use BCE option setting "Restrict Concentration" then it will see each of the aura applications with a (C) as a "cast" and expire them until only one is left. I have a screen shoot of the aftermath of an example. Note: if I turn this option off it works as expected. The reason this is an option is that FG does not track multiple casts of concentration spells it only handles checks and the removal of spells on failure.

Many would not use this option or even BCE for that matter, so changing auras will break the expected behavior for many. For those of us that do use this option we have to remove the (C) in the aura line, add a separate effect to track it and manually remove the applications from the aura when concentration is broken.

Based on the description of the other poster's problem I am thinking this is why it happen to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Only because that is how the Aura Effects code works right now. I'm asking if I should change the code (as I'm one of the principal maintainers of that extension right now) so it only had the (C) or AURA but not FROMAURA but is still able to remove the FROMAURA effects when concentration on AURA is broken.
    You could if you want, but this issue is caused by all effects that would do it not just this. I think it's better if you keep the standard (which is putting a (C) on effects).

The BCE tool is the one with the issue not able to pull the "is not the caster concentrating". I don't think you should change the basic habit of how (C) is working for ALL spell effects from a (C) spell.

What I am pointing out is that if you use BCE option setting "Restrict Concentration" then it will see each of the aura applications with a (C) as a "cast" and expire them until only one is left. I have a screen shoot of the aftermath of an example. Note: if I turn this option off it works as expected. The reason this is an option is that FG does not track multiple casts of concentration spells it only handles checks and the removal of spells on failure.
    The BCE tool is the one with the issue not able to pull the "is not the caster concentrating". I don't think you should change the basic habit of how (C) is working for ALL spell effects from a (C) spell.
    Ah, now i understand.
    Thank you both for explaining.

No other extensions were running. Nothing in Aura Effects says it is dependent on BCE

Thread Information