Starfinder Playlist

Passing NPC ownership to PC - Draggin to PC doesn't work

Hello!

I have an artificier player that has a permanent steel defender with him. I did create the NPC as usual, I always put the token in the combat tracker and drag the element to my player (and the NPC sheet pops up for him) but he's not able to move the token in any of the maps that we've played. Since we switched from FG to FGU we've had this problem.

I've tested it with him outside of game; creating a new NPC, using existing ones, draggin the NPC from both the NPC sheet and the combat tracker line to the PC portrait, to the PC sheet, and to the PC combat tracker line... basically tried everything but no results.

Any advice?

It's FGU as expected.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DMRezzin; August 4th, 2021 at 10:25. Reason: edit by mistake

I tested this and I set the NPC to ally by clicking on the red helmet till it turned green and enabled party vision and movement in the option. You can access this through the top right of the screen on the host in the gear icon. This should allow your player to move the NPC.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

It was the option of "Party vision and movement" toggle! Its solved, but I don't love the solution, basically because the party can move eachother's tokens and see eachother vision and sometimes that added suspense to certain scenarios, but well... I rather let them see more than having to control their companion's movement.

Thank you very much superteddy57!

It works, but it's not ideal.
    My thought is, if I have a map where I apply, LoS, Lighting with multiple paths, I would like the player/character to feel the tension of separating from the group, when activating the party vision feature, I lose this surprise/feeling.. ..
    it would be nice to have the possibility of having complete ownership of the NPC, on any system, allowing you to make scrolls, move, change...

That being said, if a player keeps his token selected he/she just sees what their character see. If they take the selection out or select another token they see everything.

Of course, washes out the tension in that kind of situation but we (both players and GMs) should advocate to stay in character and just play with the information that our character knows.

That being said, last week I had a very tense situation in a complete dark forest where one of my players (with character without darkvision) was quite lost. And of course character-wise thats excellent, but rises up other issues like players attention-span when the character literally sees 5ft radious of map

Like in 5e, life has advantages and disadvantages

There's a feature request to allow giving NPC control to players without having to enable the Party Vision:

https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=135411

Please vote for it

Or, as another alternative, you can try and see if this extension is what you need:
    https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/153/view
    With this extension, once you drag an NPC/monster on a PC's portrait, that player can control and move the NPC without the need for Party Vision to be on.

Another potential work around: Make a PC character for the NPC. You don't have to fill out the entire character sheet, just put in the stats the player needs to run the NPC for automation purposes, then they can "own" the new PC version of the NPC. This works a lot better for long term allies, and not as much if it is for summoned/charmed creatures that may come and go.

oh good point, that Ext should work wel for this. i will have to keep this in mind for one of my players who is a DeathCleric (yeah, he has issues) that has a pack of 4 zombies fallowing him around when they are dungeon delving.

Quote Originally Posted by FyreM View Post
    oh good point, that Ext should work wel for this. i will have to keep this in mind for one of my players who is a DeathCleric (yeah, he has issues) that has a pack of 4 zombies fallowing him around when they are dungeon delving.
    Extensions = RISK! - having stated that loudly and firmly - you can see this video for an example of a worst case scenario using Assistant GM.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Thread Information