DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Language is a communication tool.
    It is not used unless it is used to support another skill ie Carousing needs communication, as does Admin, Advocate etc. This is true even if both parties know the language in use - a perfect example of this is when you come out of a meeting trying to understand what was actually asked of you.
    With traveller, IF the referee is concerned with the lack of communication causing possible issues with a roll that depends upon clear communication, the existing Task Chain system can be used. Depending upon how critical the communication is, it may be a strict effect modifier or just a TC modifier to the cascaded roll.
    Language is part of your education, ie low education leads to little experience in expressing complex thoughts. So, EDU+Language Skill would be the roll, with the target difficulty being the same target difficulty as the rest of the tasks ie, if you are explaining the path to the bathroom or order food would be simple, while explaining how to land a shuttle via comms would be difficult....
    Mechanically, if you know the language at 0 or better, that is a binary true for showing the text of someone chatting in that language, otherwise they see the gibberish of the wrong font being used.
    For those interactions that require a task check and where language is a factor, then a Task Chain can be used.
    For characters, they are given a number of skill points based upon their education and can split those points among one or more languages the referee agrees upon. Other languages can be learned or existing languages increased during normal character creation.
    For MBM, the only mechanical support needed would be adding a hidden field that lists the languages known to support the back end FGU language binary language support.
    This would allow Referee's to use FGU to support languages or ignore them as desired

Just my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Calford View Post
    Language is a communication tool.
    It is not used unless it is used to support another skill ie Carousing needs communication, as does Admin, Advocate etc. This is true even if both parties know the language in use - a perfect example of this is when you come out of a meeting trying to understand what was actually asked of you.
    With traveller, IF the referee is concerned with the lack of communication causing possible issues with a roll that depends upon clear communication, the existing Task Chain system can be used. Depending upon how critical the communication is, it may be a strict effect modifier or just a TC modifier to the cascaded roll.
    Language is part of your education, ie low education leads to little experience in expressing complex thoughts. So, EDU+Language Skill would be the roll, with the target difficulty being the same target difficulty as the rest of the tasks ie, if you are explaining the path to the bathroom or order food would be simple, while explaining how to land a shuttle via comms would be difficult....
    Mechanically, if you know the language at 0 or better, that is a binary true for showing the text of someone chatting in that language, otherwise they see the gibberish of the wrong font being used.
    For those interactions that require a task check and where language is a factor, then a Task Chain can be used.
    For characters, they are given a number of skill points based upon their education and can split those points among one or more languages the referee agrees upon. Other languages can be learned or existing languages increased during normal character creation.
    For MBM, the only mechanical support needed would be adding a hidden field that lists the languages known to support the back end FGU language binary language support.
    This would allow Referee's to use FGU to support languages or ignore them as desired

Just my 2c
    I firmly agree with this. For roleplaying and task requirements, we already have the language skills; Any task rolls can be handled by the Referee using them without any changes to the MgT2 Ruleset in FGU. As far as I see, the only thing currently missing is the ability to support the FGU language system, which fundamentally functions on a Binary system.

Apart from Anglic, Vilani, Zdetl, Oynprith I like to have some bidary/encypted data "language" that can me used when players encounter encrypted data

Quote Originally Posted by Boldtaar View Post
    Apart from Anglic, Vilani, Zdetl, Oynprith I like to have some bidary/encypted data "language" that can me used when players encounter encrypted data
    That would be cool!

A list of the major known languages that have been published/printed/supported by Traveller over the years (Hopefully I don't loose too much formatting)

L-Name Associated Race/s Associated Goverments
    !Kee*and Raxkiir K'kree Two Thousand Worlds
    "Guy-Troy*language" Guy-Troy
    "Llyrnian*language" Llyrnian
    Aaca Humaniti (Luriani) Luriani Cultural Association
    Anglic Humaniti*(Solomani) Solomani Confederation*&*Third Imperium
    Anseri Humaniti: Answerin Third Imperium
    Arabic Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation
    Bilanidin Humaniti (Vilani) Ziru Sirka*&*Third Imperium
    Changlic Humaniti Mercantile Concord
    Chinese
    Cantonese
    Mandarin Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation*& Wuan Technology Association
    Core Anglic Many races Domain of Sylea
    Delphinic Trinary Dolphin*&*Orca Solomani Confederation*&*Third Imperium
    Dutch Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation*& Reformed Dootchen Estates
    English American
    English Australian
    English British
    English Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation
    Farsi Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation
    French Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation*& Third Reformed French Confederate Republic*& Joie De Vivre
    Gaelic Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation
    GAL
    (Great Ape Language) Uplifted Ape Solomani Confederation
    Galaach Humaniti Ushran Trade Association
    Genosha Humaniti (Geonee) Geonee Cultural Region Geonee Confederation
    German Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation*& Boötean Federation*& Das Volken Worlds*& Dienabach Grüpen*& Kranzbund*& Theocracy of Weltschmerz
    Gheldaght Humaniti Principality of Caledon
    Ginsharian (language) Ginsharian
    Greek Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation
    Gurviotic Hivers*&*Gurvin Hive Federation
    Hebrew Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation
    Hhraki Hhkar Hhkar Sphere
    Hindi Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation*& Hanuman Systems
    Hiver Sign Language*(HSL) Hivers Hive Federation
    Ithkluri Ithklur
    Japanese Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation
    Kadli Humaniti (Darmine) Darmine Cultural Region
    Kdaar Humaniti Aslan Saie Grand Duchy of Marlheim
    Kehuu Humaniti (Lancians) Lancian Cultural Region
    Klatha'sh Humaniti (Ziadd) Zedan Cultural Region
    Loes (language) Humaniti (Loeskalth) Loeskalth Empire (conquered)

Marine Battle Language Imperial Marines Third Imperium
    Na Humaniti (Aquan)
    Na'ans Suerrat Suerrat Republic
    Nahuatl Humaniti Solomani Amec Protectorate
    Navajo Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation
    Oynprith Droyne Droyne Oytrip Yatroy*&*Third Imperium
    Reavers Cant Various races Reavers League
    Riftian Humaniti Domain of Deneb
    Rim anglic Humaniti Solomani Far Frontier
    Russian Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation*& Kostov Confederate Republic*& New Slavic Solidarity
    Sagamaal Humaniti (Sword Worlder) Sword Worlds
    Sfuizia S'mrii S'mrii ConSentiency
    Spanish Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation*& Grand United States of Quesada
    Swahili Humaniti Solomani
    Sylean language Humaniti (Syleans) Sylean Worlds
    Te-Zlodh Humaniti (Daryen) Darrian Confederation
    Transform Humaniti Domain of Antares
    Trokh Aslan Aslan Hierate*&*Third Imperium
    Turkish Humaniti Solomani Solomani Confederation
    Ursotic Ursa Solomani Confederation*&*Third Imperium
    Ushi (language) Various races Greater GushemegeTrade Association
    Vargr Languages (Aekhu,*Arrghoun,*Gvegh,*Irilitok,*Logaksu,*Ovagho un,*Suedzuk,*Vuakedh) Vargr Vargr Extents*&*Third Imperium
    Virsashi Virushi Virushi Pacifistocracy
    Vrynsyss Eslyat Eslyat Magistracy
    Wawa-pakekeke-wawa Bwap Grand Council of Crèches
    Welsh Humaniti Solomani Cymraeg Free State
    Yerkish Uplifted Ape Solomani Confederation
    Yiirabarhi Shrieker
    Yohi Eliyoh
    Za'tachshprakh Za'tachk
    Zdetl Humaniti*(Zhodani) Zhodani Consulate

At one point I had found an American Sign Language Font, showing the various hand positions for each letter of the alphabet.
    I got enthused and started to do an Hiver tentacle font using the Sign language font as a basis. Sadly I can't locate
    my work, might try and revisit it at some point. Would be useful for a Solomani and an Hiver
    talking with hand/tentacle waving.

Chumbly

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    In DnD it's binary, you either know the language or you don't
    I just wanted to point out, that in D&D 5e language comprehension is not binary, but in fact tertiary. As in...

- Can't understand a language
    - Can speak the language as well as read and write it; the assumed level of comprehension for a PC's known languages.
    - Can understand and read and write a language, but can't speak it proper; this is the case for the Kenku player race's comprehension of Common, which was a race added in Volo's Guide to Monsters. There are similar language capabilities for player races in other 3rd party settings.

Language comprehension can actually be considered quaternary, if you consider this additional form of comprehension that can exist for NPCS and intelligent monsters.

- Can speak the language, but can't read and write it.

The FGU implementation of D&D 5e languages on the other hand, heck yes it's been done in a binary way. IMO languages aren't implemented particularly well, so much so that I couldn't make the 5e ruleset's languages work for my campaign set in the 3rd party Midgard World setting, which handles them a bit differently.

But the issue rermains, how does a character know the language of the Bwaps? There's no skill?
    OK, but for the sake of argument, as a Referee why wouldn't I just drag & drop another Language specialization -i.e. Language (anglic)- in the Skills window and then for the resulting copy, replace any reference to "anglic" with "bwap"? Thereafter any player who needs Language (bwap) during PC creation or during the campaign, has access to it. If there's indeed a few other Language specializations that are common, for sure create them. The MgT2e skill list is already quite lengthy though and I have players that are used to more consolidated, shorter lists in other RPGs. I for one would prefer to just do the technique I described above, rather than have a lengthy list with a multitude of specialized languages within it.

Do we follow the example of DnD (a bit clunky but workable), and have a section on a Character Sheet detailing which languages a character knows? Or do we ensure that skills are checked, and Referee's would have to add the extra language skills and languages?
    As I was sort of getting at above, the FGU D&D 5e ruleset is IMO not necessarily a good one to base MGT2e ruleset design upon. I actually much prefer the way languages are handled in the Savage Worlds ruleset. In it there's a language windows like 5e, but also a Language skill. Further to that, skill specializations are an optional feature which can be enabled - more like the MgT2e ruleset's skill specialties when it's turned on. When enabled, I can create as many Language specializations (right-clicking on the skill, then choosing specialization from the context wheel) on a character sheet as necessary. Those specializations end up being listed on their own line in standard text, beneath the skill which is bold faced.
    Last edited by kronovan; August 19th, 2021 at 20:00.

This is also part of the problem, how well does the character understand what they're reading/hearing/writing? In DnD it's binary, you either know the language or you don't.

I could for example, when you add a skill for a language, add this to a simpler list on the character sheet (like in DnD), this means that all speciality languages will need adding as skills.

Then when someone speaks in a language, if a player has the skill then we make a roll and if the target is achieved, it's translated or it's not. This sadly is binary, you understand or you don't, and it's not realistic, I for example in France would have a Skill of 0, so I'd understand directions, how to order beer etc.

I welcome more thinking on this.

Cheers,
    MBM

Cheers,
    MBM
    I think you're overthinking it. If one of my players knows one language passingly well, but not fluently, I would change the language with the drop down and type "This ... trader Beowolf ... anyone. ... ... ". I wouldn't expect the system to look at how skilled the character is and have it automatically obscure a certain percentage of words, I can do that as the referee.

Thread Information