DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Effects for Xanathar Archetypes

Some time ago I produced a series which detailed the effects that could be created for each of the character classes in the PHB. Since the publication of Xanathar's Guide I've been asked to extend those to include the archetypes from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Since adding a bunch of new stuff to the originals made them messy and since some of the effects required considerable explanation I decided to do things differently. So below you will find links to an XML file containing the character sheet of a level 20 class showing all the effects for the Archetypes found in Xanathar. Rather than writing up an extensive post explaining the effects I've recorded a video for each class and you will find the links to those also below.

To use the characters download the file and save it somewhere on your computer, then unzip it. Open Fantasy Grounds and on the Character screen select the blue import arrow and this will open a windows folder. Navigate to wherever you saved the character and select it. You can now access the character from the selection window or from the large PCs button in the right hand menu.

Links to the XML files
    Barbarian Archetypes
    Bard Archetypes
    Cleric Archetypes
    Druid Archetypes
    Fighter Archetypes
    Monk Archetypes
    Paladin Archetypes
    Ranger Archetypes
    Rogue Archetypes
    Sorcerer Archetypes
    Warlock Archetypes
    Wizard Archetypes

Links to Videos
    Barbarian Archetypes
    Bard Archetypes
    Cleric Archetypes
    Druid Archetypes
    Fighter Archetypes
    Monk Archetypes
    Paladin Archetypes
    Ranger Archetypes
    Rogue Archetypes
    Sorcerer Archetypes
    Warlock Archetypes
    Wizard Archetypes
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; December 20th, 2017 at 16:18.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Really a nice job and useful as usual!

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Excellent! Thanks

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks Zacchaeus!! This is great.

Sweet! Thank you!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Preferred Games: D&D5E
    Timezone: Normally US Central Time but often times others...

As always really good videos!

I have one question about effects and damage.
    For extra damage I've been using the Damage action instead of an effect. So for example using your video for the Horizon Ranger planar warrior ability I would do the effect for the damage type as you did, then player would do damage from the weapon and then add the extra damage from the Damage action from the ability. Have you found that doing everything as effects the players tend to be less confused? My players tend to eat a lot of cheese (forget how FG work) every weeks so that's why i'm asking

It most cases it is better to add the additional damage as an effect. There are various reasons but the two main ones are that the additional damage takes on the damage type of the weapon used and when there is a critical hit the additional damage automatically adds in to the crit. The second one is obvious; the first one can matter if the character uses a lot of different weapons and damage types and also if the target has resistance/immunity then that all gets taken care of. If you use a damage action you need to add in the damage type, so if a character has three weapons all doing different damage types you need three effects rather than one. Also on a critical you'll need to hold shift as you apply the damage otherwise you won't get the correct damage.

So, especially if your players, are forgetful use an effect rather than a damage action. All they have to do then is remember to apply it; and if they don't well tough they've missed out and maybe they'll remember next time
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hey Zacchaeus,

I should have looked at this thread before I posted on the "Complete Paladin" thread as it answered the questions I asked there. I'm wondering about the Invincible Conqueror feature of Paladin Oath of Conquest. Specifically the increased critical hit range. Wouldn't it be easier to create a new weapon with "crit range 19" in the properties rather than changing the meta data for all weapons? I'm the forgetful sort who would probably forget to change the meta data back.

I would need to look up the book and i’m not near my computer, but yes it it is only for a specific weapon you would put it in the weapon properties. You can also create an effect CRIT: 19 which should also work.

Edit. So I just watched the video and since the attacks could be made with any weapon the meta data would be more sensible than adding to the weapon properties. But since the video was made the CRIT: 19 effect has become available so that’s probably the better way to go.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; March 12th, 2019 at 02:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I would need to look up the book and i’m not near my computer, but yes it it is only for a specific weapon you would put it in the weapon properties. You can also create an effect CRIT: 19 which should also work.

Edit. So I just watched the video and since the attacks could be made with any weapon the meta data would be more sensible than adding to the weapon properties. But since the video was made the CRIT: 19 effect has become available so that’s probably the better way to go.
    Just tried it in a session and it work splendidly

Thread Information