DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Quick question about Initiative, the Combat Tracker, and Round Resolution

I'm sure this has been asked before, I did a search but didn't find anything specific although it might have been buried.

I'm starting a new MERP/RM campaign, after transitioning away from D&D 5e and other systems (Traveller).

The combat tracker and how it focuses the use of it, is great for the GM (me), but is taking some getting used to.

The issue is when we start the combat, after rolling initiative, and we go to the first actor.

We are in the spell phase, and let's say the first actor is a fighter. Do you (as GMs) just skip that guy and move on - theoretically moving through the whole list for one guy then come back around for Missile, then MM, then Melee?

Do you physically click or just mentally skip and announce it? Clicking means a lot of time (and manually resetting the round indicator), but "loosey-goosey" is too hard when dealing with players who aren't "getting" what's happening as it's virtual and not at the table.

I am finding it hard to manage the round order, which I'm sure is partly unfamiliarity with the system (and folks thinking that as it's gone to them in Spells, they can Missile or MM). Somewhat, it just feels clunky though.

I'm thinking of handling spell/missile/maneuver just talking through it and not moving the tracker, then only going through for melee - but that could make MM difficult, or, unbalance it if the Combat Tracker is full of spell users down the line.

I'm hoping this makes sense - I'm just curious how "you" handle the round activity, who goes when and how, and, how you "run" the Combat Tracker.

Ian

(Incidentally, I'm not a new GM to this, I know the system well - but my players don't - it IS my first time running MERP/RM through FGU though - I'm very familiar with running D&D on it)

There is a GM setting to switch to phases, which allows players to input a number(1-3, possibly customizable).
    You can then assign a phase to said number(1 = Spell, 2 =Missile, etc.) where your players type in their preferred phase numbers(1,3…2…2,3) to act.
    It takes time for players to get used to this every round due to fluid combat actions - in those particular phases where the tracker will sort each player based on their Init roll, then bring them up based upon whatever phase they’ve posted in the Phase field.

Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Majyk; July 31st, 2021 at 11:48. Reason: Clarity

Hi iancharman,

Unfortunately, the phased combat was something that I couldn't figure out how to do with the CoreRPG conversion at the time and need to get back to adding it back in.

Here is how I would handle it if using the RM2 phased combat round.

Have everyone roll initiative

Adjust the initiative based on which phase they want to act in by adding a value based on the phase. +4000 for Spell Action Phase. +3000 for Fire Phase (A). +2000 for Fire Phase (B). +1000 for Melee Phase. It should sort them appropriately based on their phases.

Then for resolving the Spell Phases just do all the combatants in the 4000 range for their Spell Action Phase. After they all do their actions, do the Spell Results Phase to you can have them resolved simultaneously. The Table Resolver will help with this since they will be queued up for the GM to resolve. Then you can do the Spell Orientation Phase.

Then do the 3000 range missile attacks for the Fire Phase (A). After they are done do the Fire Result Phase (A) by resolving the attacks in the Table Resolver.

Have everyone do their Movement/Maneuver Phase after you finish the 3000 range and add modifiers to the melee combatants (1000 range) for the percentage they moved.

Then do the 2000 range missile attacks for the Fire Phase (B). After they are done do the Fire Result Phase (B) by resolving the attacks in the Table Resolver.

Then do the 1000 range melee attacks for the Melee Phase. After they are done do the Melee Results Phase by resolving the attacks in the Table Resolver.

Do the Final Orientation Phase when you get to the end of a round.

If you are using a different phased combat system, then you will have to make some modifications to this but the basic concept should help you keep it organized. If the phased combat system has combatants acting on other phases then you will have to adjust their initiative so they show up in the new phase.

Hopefully that helps since I don't know which initiative system you are using but please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Thank you both - these are some great ideas. We'll work with an additive to the initiative for now, and see how that works.

I'm running a sort of variant of phases, where you just take the headlines (Spells, Missile, etc.) that just resolves everything in the phase and moves on. I think this could work!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin View Post
    Hi iancharman,

Unfortunately, the phased combat was something that I couldn't figure out how to do with the CoreRPG conversion at the time and need to get back to adding it back in.

Here is how I would handle it if using the RM2 phased combat round.

Have everyone roll initiative

Adjust the initiative based on which phase they want to act in by adding a value based on the phase. +4000 for Spell Action Phase. +3000 for Fire Phase (A). +2000 for Fire Phase (B). +1000 for Melee Phase. It should sort them appropriately based on their phases.

Then for resolving the Spell Phases just do all the combatants in the 4000 range for their Spell Action Phase. After they all do their actions, do the Spell Results Phase to you can have them resolved simultaneously. The Table Resolver will help with this since they will be queued up for the GM to resolve. Then you can do the Spell Orientation Phase.

Then do the 3000 range missile attacks for the Fire Phase (A). After they are done do the Fire Result Phase (A) by resolving the attacks in the Table Resolver.

Have everyone do their Movement/Maneuver Phase after you finish the 3000 range and add modifiers to the melee combatants (1000 range) for the percentage they moved.

Then do the 2000 range missile attacks for the Fire Phase (B). After they are done do the Fire Result Phase (B) by resolving the attacks in the Table Resolver.

Then do the 1000 range melee attacks for the Melee Phase. After they are done do the Melee Results Phase by resolving the attacks in the Table Resolver.

Do the Final Orientation Phase when you get to the end of a round.

If you are using a different phased combat system, then you will have to make some modifications to this but the basic concept should help you keep it organized. If the phased combat system has combatants acting on other phases then you will have to adjust their initiative so they show up in the new phase.

Hopefully that helps since I don't know which initiative system you are using but please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin
    I am not sure where to find these phases? I am just thinking that can I use this with Action Point system?
    Last edited by Theros; August 20th, 2021 at 18:06.

The phased combat didn't make it into the CoreRPG version of the ruleset. I was just providing another way someone could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theros View Post
    I am not sure where to find these phases? I am just thinking that can I use this with Action Point system?
    Just talking - have you looked at the 200 point initiative system in Rolemaster Companion 1? For me, it provides a good structure for resolving actions, movement and combat.

Regards - Rainbird

The phased combat didn't make it into the CoreRPG version of the ruleset. I was just providing another way someone could do it.
    Where in the rules is explanation of phased combat?

Phased combat has been in various versions of Rolemaster. I think the first place I saw it was in RM2. I know it is in RMSS and RMFRP. Plus there was at least one different version in the Rolemaster Companions. You can usually find information about them in Arms Law.

For RMC, it is a simplified version of phased combat that you can see in RMC Arms Law pages 26-27.

I simplify it even more and don't use a phased combat system.

Phased combat has been in various versions of Rolemaster. I think the first place I saw it was in RM2. I know it is in RMSS and RMFRP. Plus there was at least one different version in the Rolemaster Companions. You can usually find information about them in Arms Law.

For RMC, it is a simplified version of phased combat that you can see in RMC Arms Law pages 26-27.

I simplify it even more and don't use a phased combat system.
    Hmmm...maybe I have other version of the book, as it is % version of combat which is not simplified...hmmm... Damn I would love to have action point, or even companion 1 initiative point system in FG.

Thread Information