5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Thread: Need advice

Need advice

thinking of trying my hand at running a game only tried to DM once long ago and i didnt care for it but i was much younger then so if i decide to ....and it far from certain right now...so just general advise what i should do for first campaign like should i go with my own campaign or a premade module and any advise on what campaign would be best

If your starting to dm, I would go with a pre-written, campaign instead of thinking of your own campaign setting, its a lot less work

I would recommend, going with Lost mines of Phandelver or Essentials kit "Dragon of Icespire peak" if your a beginner dm !

What RPG system are you thinking of using to run your game?

If D&D 5e, the what @vaughnlannister recommends is a good place to start - Lost Mine of Phandelver.

If not D&D 5e, let us know and we can make some recommendations.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Also consider taking a free GM class at www.fantasygroundscollege.net. It will help with your familiarity and knowledge.

And, plan to go with a one shot if you are anxious. Very little pressure that way and any decisions you make are short lived, i.e. you don't get stuck with a ruling that lives for years!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

well the system ie version...is one of the things i wanted advise about is 5e easier to DM than 3.5 or are they roughly the same ?? 5e seems less complicated..atleast from a player pov but im far more familiar with 3.5

The 5E system has been streamlined when compared to 3.5E. The big thing with 3.5E on FG is that there’s not an official license for it, whereas there is for 5E. FG comes with an OGL library of 3.5 data, and there are some older 3.5E third party modules in the store. You’ll get much more support and functionality using D&D 5E on Fantasy Grounds, and the 5E rules are pretty easy to pickup.

Have a look at the Lost Mine of Phandelver 5E adventure module. It was specifically written for DMs and players new to 5E, but is also an excellent mini campaign - especially if you tie in the sample backgrounds from the pregens into your players characters.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

ty all for the advise and one last question ....i havent run lost mines as a player yet should i do so first before i try to DM it ??

Not really unless you want to experience the adventure yourself first

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSt75 View Post
    ty all for the advise and one last question ....i havent run lost mines as a player yet should i do so first before i try to DM it ??
    Nope, not a requirement at all.

If you want some ideas around the story and mechanics "in game" you’ll be able to find plenty of gameplay videos on YouTube.

I DM far more than i play, i enjoy both but i think i like being a dm slightly more.

The advice given before my post is spot on. Phandelver is a fantastic module especially for first time dms. It was the first one i ran with fantasy grounds.

My main advice is take it slow and calm. Its a game first rule is if it doesnt feel fun nothing else will help.

Set player expectations. Have a session 0, thats where you speak with your players honestly. I'm a big fan of session 0s abd just being upfront. Tell them its your first time being a dm. Just have a conversation with your players.

That will also break rhe ice so session 1 will move aling more efficiently.

Thread Information