5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

upload limit for mods 47 megs?

I'm trying to upload the OSRIC mod I'm working on to the classic D&D forum, so that it can possibly get some additional QA before submitting it to the forge (at least one person has told me they'd like to use it running a game in the next few days).

It's under 10 megs, and the upload limit on the attachment tool says 47 meg limit for mods - but whenever I try to upload I keep getting the message "file too large". Is there some sort of posting trigger or something to earn the full upload size limit, to keep spam down? I'm not sure where I'm over legal weight based on what I'm reading.

Blog Entries
    Try a different web browser. I know I've hit the limit here once years ago (and dropped the file size down to 14MB), but usually web limits are actually do to the browser and/or your security software and not the forum itself.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hmm...I can get a 3 meg mod to load OK. I've tried in both browsers on my system with everything disabled (brave/edge).

Is there possibly a limit on the number of "items" (tables, NPCs, spells, etc.) in a mod, even if there's no/few illustrations and such that would normally push it over the limit in relatively few but big chunks? There's a few thousand items in the mod itself. I'm running into "bad memory allocation" notifications even though the size of the mod file is <10megs (This is in FGC - the project was started a few months before the announcement)
    Last edited by EOTB; July 27th, 2021 at 07:29.

I think the decimal point is in the wrong place in the attachment screen - the limit is more like 4.7MB.

Number of records in a module does use memory when opened. If you have a few thousand records then that will definitely use quite a bit of memory. If you're getting bad memory allocation errors in FGC then, yes, it's using a lot of memory. FGU should be able to cope, in terms of memory use as it's a 64-bit application (whereas FGC is 32-bit), but it may take quite a long time to open and then display data.

Note - the Forge is only for FGU products. If you're going to put anything on the Forge you should be testing in FGU, and also ideally developing in FGU too.
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 27th, 2021 at 15:56.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    For larger files, I would recommend hosting it through an external source like Google Drive or Dropbox and then simply include the link in the forums.

Blog Entries
    Oh yea.... I noticed my large extension is actually hosted externally and not directly uploaded on the forums. So not a good point of comparison. Sorry about that.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I think the decimal point is in the wrong place in the attachment screen - the limit is more like 4.7MB.

Number of records in a module does use memory when opened. If you have a few thousand records then that will definitely use quite a bit of memory. If you're getting bad memory allocation errors in FGC then, yes, it's using a lot of memory. FGU should be able to cope, in terms of memory use as it's a 64-bit application (whereas FGC is 32-bit), but it may take quite a long time to open and then display data.

Note - the Forge is only for FGU products. If you're going to put anything on the Forge you should be testing in FGU, and also ideally developing in FGU too.
    OK, that makes sense! Thanks.

Yes, all development going forward would be in FGU. At the time, the author extension wasn't working in FGU so I was trying to finish off the book in FGC to make the ref manual. That isn't an issue so much anymore, and the Forge announcement solidified the move to FGU for it.

Appreciate the thoughts and clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by EOTB View Post
    OK, that makes sense! Thanks.

Yes, all development going forward would be in FGU. At the time, the author extension wasn't working in FGU so I was trying to finish off the book in FGC to make the ref manual. That isn't an issue so much anymore, and the Forge announcement solidified the move to FGU for it.

Appreciate the thoughts and clarification.
    There is a House of Healing section on the forums for Forge now

Thread Information