DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

updating a module for export/import

Hi, if I've exported/created a module and I missed an item (e.g. NPC) or wanted to tweak something (faction status in an encounter), is there a way to apply just that change to the exported module, or do I basically have to create the entire module over again?

Thank-you

You can always unzip and modify the XML directly in the .mod file. It's a renamed .zip file.

For people creating modules regularly, we recommend the creation of a "module development" campaign where all the records you use to create your module are stored; so you can edit and re-export whenever you need to.

Regards,
    JPG

Thank-you, yah I went ahead and made a specific campaign for development, i thought if the "active" campaign only had the current adventure and no art packs it might load faster, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, it seems like if I want to update the module I have to "recreate" it in full, I can't just add/update specific items, short of the xml manipulation that you mentioned. I also understand that if the module's been modified in the active campaign that module updates will be inaccessible. So I better make these changes fast before i start using the module

By the way, is there a way to move an entire group into the export rather than each individual items? this particular adventure had stories for 40 rooms, not including stories for other elements on the adventure, NPCs, images, etc. Would be easier if we could drag an entire group into the module. There may be a way, there's so many great shortcuts and features built into this program.

There isn't a way to export a group. This is another reason for having a creation campaign to create whatever you need, since everything in the campaign can be exported just by clicking on the data type rather than having to pick and choose what gets exported.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    You can update the module, if you have the development campaign. See the link in my signature for that and more best practices.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Ah. I see. i was having a single campaign to develope ALL of my adventures, not one per adventure. Hmm.

Personally I have one development campaign per adventure. It all depends on how often you think you are going to "tweak" an adventure. I tweak them alot so I found it's just easier to have campaigns for each adventure.

It's best to have one module development campaign for each module you want to create. If you're running an adventure and you want to have a player module and a GM module for that adventure then create two module making campaigns - one for the player module and one for the GM module. This makes adding, editing, maintaining and exporting an updated module quicker and keeps all data for one module in that one campaign.

Sure, you have to switch between campaigns to create the player and GM modules, but this is a small price to pay for the gains in efficiency and reduction in errors of using a campaign per module.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    It's best to have one module development campaign for each module you want to create. If you're running an adventure and you want to have a player module and a GM module for that adventure then create two module making campaigns - one for the player module and one for the GM module. This makes adding, editing, maintaining and exporting an updated module quicker and keeps all data for one module in that one campaign.

Sure, you have to switch between campaigns to create the player and GM modules, but this is a small price to pay for the gains in efficiency and reduction in errors of using a campaign per module.
    If you figure out you need to split something into player/GM, can you copy the campaign and delete the parts in each that don't apply, and still the two resulting books work together?

I'm asking because the OSRIC mod I mentioned on the forge a while ago - it's big, and there wouldn't really be any need for players to load anything beyond what's covered in the first three chapters of OSRIC (the "PHB" part of OSRIC). But the back half of OSRIC of course draws upon the first three chapters for tables and such - e.g., a table to generate a scroll draws upon the spell list tables in the first three chapters dropped into it as sub-tables, and those spell list tables themselves have the spells dropped into them. Etc.

But if deleting out the first three chapters from a Chapt 4-6 "GM OSRIC mod" meant that tables such as the scroll generation table wouldn't work any longer then it wouldn't make sense for me to do that.

Thread Information