STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    #Getoffmylawn #OldEntityyellsatcloud
    Haha!

i think the "adds to the immersion" argument is being misapplied. It is a misnomer that is often applied to special effects. What immersions is it adding to?

The immersion of watching a video game - sure?

Because it certainly does not add to the immersion of being in dark cavern, hunkered down behind a rock and dodging spears thrown by orcs.

Let's just call it what it is - "cooler". And "cooler" is subjective.
    Last edited by seycyrus; September 10th, 2021 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Springroll View Post
    It might be an age thing but I'm with Doug on this, yes animated maps are fun, but I'm fine with smaller map adjustments, actually I prefer them for that Theater of the Mind feel, Foundry is popular (in my opinion), not because it is better than other VTT's but because it speaks to certain users, users that want the "computer game" feel, with sound effects, cool visual effects, graphics et al. In my opinion, what RPG's has that no other game has is the possibility to paint a picture and play a movie in the minds of the players, the more graphics we put into our games the more we spoon feed the players and impact their imagination negatively, but again, It might be a conservative boomer thing
    While I understand the opinion/felling, I think that is a dangerous one to have while developing a product that now have competition on the market.
    This feature is something that ADD and not REPLACE something in the product. The addition will not remove playerbase like yourself, but the lack off will for the ones that seek the feature. I myself doesn't use FGU in localplay anymore because of it, thereafter I don't buy modules anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
    i think the "adds to the immersion" argument is being misapplied. It is a misnomer that is often applied to special effects. What immersions is it adding to?

The immersion of watching a video game - sure?

Because it certainly does not add to the immersion of being in dark cavern, hunkered down behind a rock and dodging spears thrown by orcs.

Let's just call it what it is - "cooler". And "cooler" is subjective.
    I think you are letting your opinion dictates what is immersion for others? Maybe immersion is subjective? because I had my local players testify for me that they had more immersion when I used .webm maps with automatic ambience sounds. So yeah, for my group I can't call your quote of "certainly does not add to the immersion" as true =/

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
    While I understand the opinion/felling, I think that is a dangerous one to have while developing a product that now have competition on the market.
    This feature is something that ADD and not REPLACE something in the product. The addition will not remove playerbase like yourself, but the lack off will for the ones that seek the feature. I myself doesn't use FGU in localplay anymore because of it, thereafter I don't buy modules anymore.
    I agree, I was merely digressing... In my mind though, there's so many more players out there that have yet to use a VTT at all, what they are looking for is something that will simplify their normal game, for me that is not Foundry, and the amount of work that a GM needs to put down into Foundry to make it pretty and have moving backgrounds etc. is rather substantial, not to mention the modules and macros he/she needs to learn and understand. FGU is not simple either, but there are far less moving parts that could potentially hinder players, I'm suggesting that focus should lie on the low hanging fruit and only then start looking into the more flashy things, and when that change comes it will be integrated into the base platform and not hastily tacked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Springroll View Post
    I agree, I was merely digressing... In my mind though, there's so many more players out there that have yet to use a VTT at all, what they are looking for is something that will simplify their normal game, for me that is not Foundry, and the amount of work that a GM needs to put down into Foundry to make it pretty and have moving backgrounds etc. is rather substantial, not to mention the modules and macros he/she needs to learn and understand. FGU is not simple either, but there are far less moving parts that could potentially hinder players, I'm suggesting that focus should lie on the low hanging fruit and only then start looking into the more flashy things, and when that change comes it will be integrated into the base platform and not hastily tacked on.
    I agree. That is why I just asked for a pipeline prediction and not to be implemented in the next patch release. While .webm is a feature that I'm needing right now, isn't something that need to be rushed. But the feedback of a possible implementation in the road ahead would be good enough to maintain my attention in FGU once more. For now, I'm using Foundry with success for my current need (but yeah, for automation it sucks, but because I'm using for local play, my players still roll physical dice, that way this part doesn't affect me much, but of course, it is far from being a perfect product )

I think you are letting your opinion dictates what is immersion for others? Maybe immersion is subjective? because I had my local players testify for me that they had more immersion when I used .webm maps with automatic ambience sounds. So yeah, for my group I can't call your quote of "certainly does not add to the immersion" as true =/
    Again, Immersion of what?

Immersion into the "reality of the scene" - I doubt it. Immersion into the "school of cool" - certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
    Again, Immersion of what?

Immersion into the "reality of the scene" - I doubt it. Immersion into the "school of cool" - certainly.
    Just ask random players:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3sudq83eU

I'm pretty confident that a good number will tell you that it helps in the immersion of the reality of the scene.

Just ask random players:
    ...I'm pretty confident that a good number will tell you that it helps in the immersion of the reality of the scene.
    I'm *more* confident that the very first bits of commentary out of their mouths will be something along the lines ... " That's COOL! That's awesome! "

Because it IS cool and awesome.

Honestly, background sounds get me WAY more immersed in a scene than visual.

Thread Information