5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    I have many friends who started to criticize the FGU and migrated to the Foundry, this is their right...
    But I have many who migrated to Foundry because it's friendlier, because it has appealing features, because it's more intuitive, because it doesn't need an installer, but who claim that if FGU had Foundry's sound and visual features they would never have abandoned it. ..that would overlook its scary UI (For newbies of course) and the fact that you have to install a program on your machine and have an account to play...
    For me this is no problem and it never was....

Quote Originally Posted by yako2020 View Post
    I have many friends who started to criticize the FGU and migrated to the Foundry, this is their right...
    But I have many who migrated to Foundry because it's friendlier, because it has appealing features, because it's more intuitive, because it doesn't need an installer, but who claim that if FGU had Foundry's sound and visual features they would never have abandoned it. ..that would overlook its scary UI (For newbies of course) and the fact that you have to install a program on your machine and have an account to play...
    I get your feeling. I love both, sure - but still i'm 3k hours on FGU and counting, even playing a lot weekly on Foundry. Both are great, but i'm passionate about FGU and SW as well. So there aren't wrong choices, only fun. Well, sometimes..

É nóis!
    My Forge Stuff: (click and you'll go there )

-----------------------------
    Discord: @mtprimo • Ultimate License Holder • FGU Community Dev & Forge Crafter • Marketing & Designer • Brazilian
    Owner of Aqui Existem Dragões, a company focused on adapting TTRPG content to digital/VTT ready content.

I was tempted to pick up Foundry to give it a shot, but I am heavily enough invested in FGU that I talked myself out of it. I agree it is good for customers of SW that Foundry now exists as it will drive healthy competition to improve the platforms. In my mind they are the only real VTT options out there with high levels of functionality (hence why I don't consider Roll 20).

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I'm not disagreeing. I was just pointing out some functionality that a lot of people aren't aware of in terms of making static maps more dynamic.

What it suggests is that this isn't a big requirement for a lot of FG users. Votes doesn't necessarily translate to what gets developed on FG. I'm sure the core FG graphics developers are aware and considering supporting other media than what's supported today. They'll set their own priorities based off fixes, graphics engine functionality, etc.. There's just been a re-write of a lot of the FGU image engine - it's now in testing: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Release-v4-1-5 I'm just mentioning this to give an idea of what the devs have been working on recently and the stage that they're at in terms of development.
    Fair points and like you i was just being honest in my assessment of other vtts like foundry over fgu 8n terms of visuals.

Indeed i also know votes of a feature isnt how dev priorities are set..nor should it be. In truth id probably crack a joke about if devs just went by things voted on for how they work.

My comment was more along the lines of being surprised more people aren't interested in the animated maps.

I'm actually hoping a great deal the auras feature makes it in fgu (last time i checked that had a lot of votes) for example.

Im hundreds of dollars invested (excluding the ultimate lic cost) and very fond of fgu for 5e so yeah im not slamming it just again being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by yako2020 View Post
    This is weird, well funny to me, because im very comfortable with fgu and as a newcomer to learning foundry ..i am not having such a fun time with it. But i dropped my 50 bucks on it so im pushing through but as foundry is great with visuals my fgu brain is still saying ""i would have this all done in fgu by now"

I want to learn it for non 5e stuff especially homebrew game systems...i..if i had no interest in that I'd never would had even tried foundry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post

My comment was more along the lines of being surprised more people aren't interested in the animated maps.
    I think only a small percent of users really invest time in a software community. The majority only interact with forums when they have a personal problem (myself included). I'm active now because I had purchased Foundry because FG let me down in its technologic improvements (it is taking way too much time).

But as I said in original post, I'm way invested in FG, with more than 2.5k hours, and I'm looking forward to FG get back and improve, and don't just lose the "race of features". Of course, as a developer myself, I understand that in the end is a marathon and not a race in terms of endgame quality, but we can't kid ourselves in thinking that marketing wise, is a race and you may lose costumers on it.

EDIT: BTW, I was amazed by what some modules from the Foundry Community achieved. I was stunned by how easy is to a player explore complex maps by itself using "routes": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5N7J_NxEgA. This is a example of feature that I didn't know that I needed, but now... I know lol.
    Last edited by Zephyros; July 23rd, 2021 at 19:23.

As much as I want FGU to have the animated maps tokens spells etc. I'm not sure it ever will. I was watching an interview where Doug was asked about making the fireball spell show on the screen. his answer was no then it becomes a video game. I was really disappointed by that answer. its like they have no interest in doing animated anything. I love the mechanics of FGU but I love visuals of Foundry. if foundry ever gets the books/lic. I may have to jump ship. I have put a lot into FG/SW hopefully their thinking has changed since Foundry has come out but I'm not holding my breath that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrin View Post
    As much as I want FGU to have the animated maps tokens spells etc. I'm not sure it ever will. I was watching an interview where Doug was asked about making the fireball spell show on the screen. his answer was no then it becomes a video game. I was really disappointed by that answer. its like they have no interest in doing animated anything. I love the mechanics of FGU but I love visuals of Foundry. if foundry ever gets the books/lic. I may have to jump ship. I have put a lot into FG/SW hopefully their thinking has changed since Foundry has come out but I'm not holding my breath that's for sure.
    It might be an age thing but I'm with Doug on this, yes animated maps are fun, but I'm fine with smaller map adjustments, actually I prefer them for that Theater of the Mind feel, Foundry is popular (in my opinion), not because it is better than other VTT's but because it speaks to certain users, users that want the "computer game" feel, with sound effects, cool visual effects, graphics et al. In my opinion, what RPG's has that no other game has is the possibility to paint a picture and play a movie in the minds of the players, the more graphics we put into our games the more we spoon feed the players and impact their imagination negatively, but again, It might be a conservative boomer thing

Animated maps are cool, but I'd rather have the automation of FGU any day. Foundry does some stuff really well, but others it lacks quite a bit in. I like I can load up a pdf character sheet and basically play the game off of it, but if I'm going to play any of the big games - 5e, PF2, Savage Worlds etc ... FG beats it hands down.

#Getoffmylawn #OldEntityyellsatcloud

Thread Information