FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrin View Post
    As much as I want FGU to have the animated maps tokens spells etc. I'm not sure it ever will. I was watching an interview where Doug was asked about making the fireball spell show on the screen. his answer was no then it becomes a video game.
    How old was the video?

Do you have a link to it?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

If you "need" animated maps in a tabletop RPG you are doing something wrong.

They look nice but walking down a set of slime covered stairs into the pitch black.. is where you brain makes the image.

Having said that, one day it will be a thing on FGU I am sure.

Yeah, "need" is a strong word. Let's say I "want" to use those types of assets. It is a 'plus' not a 'replacement' (I still use a lot of theater of the mind to increment the narrative).

More than animations I find more interesting the possibility of new LoS to allow a better construction of maps and more than that I believe that stability and speed are good acquisitions before any extra features that will bring convenience and ease for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    If you "need" animated maps in a tabletop RPG you are doing something wrong.

They look nice but walking down a set of slime covered stairs into the pitch black.. is where you brain makes the image.

Having said that, one day it will be a thing on FGU I am sure.
    Telling someone they are doing something wrong because it doesn't match your idea of "gaming" is fairly conceited. It's no different than someone wanting sounds in their game and you telling them "you're doing it wrong because you need sound to increase your immersion". Which, is, categorically false. What you need and what someone else needs for their game is specific to them. Gatekeeping is pretty bad form.

Imagine if someone told you the same thing but related it to using a VTT for your games?

For me, I need sounds and "graphics" (be they maps, animated/video maps, tokens, spell effects) for more immersion. It increases my enjoyment of the game to have as much as I can to put me in the situation. Sure, I can "imagine" all of that but it's not nearly as immersive for me.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

There's no completely correct way of playing RPGs, and there's neither a completely wrong way to play RPGs. Do what works and provides enjoyment for your group. Saying that other RPGers way of gaming is wrong is... well, wrong and not in the spirit of these forums.

Keep all discussions on topic and constructive.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I concur with Celestian and Trenloe. About what Doug may have said: I also remember that he said that very long-term plans are 2.5D and 3D, so, I cannot imagine that there is a categorical "no" to animated maps (I have never seen the cited video about what Doug may have said) If I recall correctly some other answers in the forums, then they look at that subject again and again over time but there is no good solution and implementation yet, and other things may have higher priority
    Last edited by Kelrugem; September 10th, 2021 at 20:19.

I suspect that whatever video is being referenced was one which was done either before Alpha or before Beta releases. And the question was probably would we see fireballs animations in Alpha or Beta. In either case as Kelrugem points out it's hardly likely that anything is ruled.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Forgotten Adventures on Patreon just posted their first animated map assets, and they were the first animated map things that actually got me excited. I immediately googled if webm was supported or in the works for FGU which led me to this thread.

I get that it’s an old thread but their new assets REALLY got me pumped. They are subtle but totally awesome, and I could see them reinforcing or even helping to steer my narrative of the scene.

The static reminder to the players that the gems are glittering, or that the air is choked with spores, is such a cool idea. I added my vote to the stack, and I’m glad to see it is at least way more than 70 votes now!
    Last edited by JimSocks; February 22nd, 2023 at 15:26.

I have voted for webm support on the ideainformer feedback site along with a few hundred other folks. I'll necro this thread to bump that I would *love* webm support and immediately begin generating animated maps for use with FGU. I love the software, but being able to replace the immersion of being around a tabletop with people with a little bit of fancy attention grabbing animated assets would really add something to the pure digital experience, IMO. I'd also love more FX overlays, but that is a different thread to necro. lol
    "You can tell more of a person in an hour of play than a year of conversation" ~Plato

Ultimate License Holder
    50 Fathoms
    Deadlands Reloaded
    Saga of the Goblin Horde
    Savage Worlds

Thread Information