5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Is .webm maps in the development pipeline?

I'm a loooong time FG user. But now that I'm DMing Curse of Strahd and with the amazing work that Beneos is doing for his animated maps, I had to migrate for another VTT that supports his .webm files.

I still use FG for mechanics, but for combat and presentation I had to migrate until FG support .webm for battlemaps and scenes. Is this support on pipeline for Unity? I'm afraid that FG is getting behind in the technological improvements that others VTTs are doing =/. I invested so much in FG and want it to reach the state of the art!

I would be lying to say I am not jealous of seeing these kind of cool animated map packs being created for Foundry that are convenient to get and use. I do suspect the wow factor of such maps would fade relatively quickly though. Either way, I hope to see SW get there one day too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudin View Post
    I would be lying to say I am not jealous of seeing these kind of cool animated map packs being created for Foundry that are convenient to get and use. I do suspect the wow factor of such maps would fade relatively quickly though. Either way, I hope to see SW get there one day too.
    mainly for immersion, like sounds - imagine a ship map where the water is actually moving (or the ship) rather than just an immovable water. So damn cool!

but we'll get there eventually, one does hope
    My Forge Stuff: (click and you'll go there )

-----------------------------
    Discord: @mtprimo • Ultimate License Holder • FGU Community Dev & Forge Crafter • Marketing & Designer • Brazilian
    Owner of Aqui Existem Dragões, a company focused on adapting TTRPG content to digital/VTT ready content.

Quote Originally Posted by Primo View Post
    mainly for immersion, like sounds - imagine a ship map where the water is actually moving (or the ship) rather than just an immovable water. So damn cool!
    Do that in FGU with image effects. The big plus side of FGU here is that you can add this to your normal static maps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxhetJASbD8
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Do that in FGU with image effects. The big plus side of FGU here is that you can add this to your normal static maps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxhetJASbD8
    nah, that's a pool effect. I want parallax - move stuff physically, generate movement. Doesn't even come close - but it's a cool effect nonetheless.

the water background isn't big, it just keep parallaxing in and out of the screen (on the video i've shown). Think that combined with the pool effect it would make a dope sensation
    My Forge Stuff: (click and you'll go there )

-----------------------------
    Discord: @mtprimo • Ultimate License Holder • FGU Community Dev & Forge Crafter • Marketing & Designer • Brazilian
    Owner of Aqui Existem Dragões, a company focused on adapting TTRPG content to digital/VTT ready content.

Yeah, I know it's not *exactly* the same. I was just illustrating that FGU can do some cool visual things as well. It's not getting behind as the OP suggested.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Animated maps as well as built in sound would be great for immersion. Animated maps, especially a very well made one, blows away anything fgu can do visually..period. anyone saying otherwise is simply not being factually honest. I dont care who they are. Truth is truth.

Seeing the feature for animated maps not yet have even 70 votes is a bit of a bummer...as that suggests quite a while away for fgu if ever.

Now having said all that FGU is still my favorite and preferred vtt and the fx filter with los and ligthing features xan make sime very cool looking maps. I add sound with an audio pipe and discord and well it works for me.

I have foundry btw , still learning it, but i can tell you even after i master foundry my 5e games will still be fgu. Ive yet to see a vtt that supports 5e better with official products and automation than fgu.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    Animated maps as well as built in sound would be great for immersion. Animated maps, especially a very well made one, blows away anything fgu can do visually..period. anyone saying otherwise is simply not being factually honest. I dont care who they are. Truth is truth.
    I'm not disagreeing. I was just pointing out some functionality that a lot of people aren't aware of in terms of making static maps more dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    Seeing the feature for animated maps not yet have even 70 votes is a bit of a bummer...as that suggests quite a while away for fgu if ever.
    What it suggests is that this isn't a big requirement for a lot of FG users. Votes doesn't necessarily translate to what gets developed on FG. I'm sure the core FG graphics developers are aware and considering supporting other media than what's supported today. They'll set their own priorities based off fixes, graphics engine functionality, etc.. There's just been a re-write of a lot of the FGU image engine - it's now in testing: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Release-v4-1-5 I'm just mentioning this to give an idea of what the devs have been working on recently and the stage that they're at in terms of development.
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 23rd, 2021 at 16:50.

I know I'm going to sound rude, but the reality is that FGU will always be compared to Foundry and yes I think it's healthy!
    They may think I'm crazy, but I don't think that both companies will always seek to evolve, equalize and even improve things, and we are the ones who gain from this!
    I'm passionate about visual effects, sound effects, animations and hope that FGU will have them one day, hopefully not too far away, but I look forward to it and I can say that I like both platforms and that I have fun every session in each of them, but I confess that my true passion is and always has been FG and my wishes and wishes are that it will always surprise!

Thread Information