DICE PACKS BUNDLE

FG lagging presumably due to too many characters in campaign (500+)

Not entirely surprising and easy enough to fix on the user side but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else has issues.

After porting over the SFS campaign to Unity, both players and GM experienced severe lags (both on character selection as well as every time FG saves). No similar issues in an AP game with the same ruleset, extensions and modules.

After fiddling with other variables (extensions, images, loaded modules) and moving FG to the SSD, the lag still persisted so by process of elimination the large amount of characters seems to be causing the issue. 95% of the save file appears to be character information, causing the backup files to be 50+ MB compared to the AP 5 MB files.

Note this is unlikely to come up in regular sessions that are not Organized Play or West Marches.

Quote Originally Posted by stephan_ View Post
    Not entirely surprising and easy enough to fix on the user side but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else has issues.

After porting over the SFS campaign to Unity, both players and GM experienced severe lags (both on character selection as well as every time FG saves). No similar issues in an AP game with the same ruleset, extensions and modules.

After fiddling with other variables (extensions, images, loaded modules) and moving FG to the SSD, the lag still persisted so by process of elimination the large amount of characters seems to be causing the issue. 95% of the save file appears to be character information, causing the backup files to be 50+ MB compared to the AP 5 MB files.

Note this is unlikely to come up in regular sessions that are not Organized Play or West Marches.
    I have 100s of PCs and not seeing this.
    Note that Unity has some optimization issues, with LOS.

My biggest issues come from slower internet connections, not using an NMVE, and large maps with a lot of LOS points/Tokens.
    Turning off LOS for me insta fixes any lag I'm having while I'm GMing and players say the samething.
    Why I know internet connections can be an issue is because of playing on other tables I've seen slower upload speed from the HOST (GM) can cause delaying issues for everyone else and the GM.

LoS was one of the things I tested but even with manual masking (no LoS maps shared) there were lag issues.

Most notably, FG is always laggy on PC selection and when saving the campaign, even if no player is connected.

It could be the port from Classic affected things but difficult to tell without importing hundreds of characters.

Just tested it out with a fresh campaign.

Summary: 500+ Starfinder characters causing FG to lag after opening Character selection and on save

Ruleset: Starfinder

New Campaign (with characters imported from Classic)

Extensions/Themes: N/A

Modules Loaded: N/A

Operating System / Language Setting: Windows 10 DE (AT)

Steps to Reproduce:

New (empty) SF campaign (no extensions, no modules loaded).

Imported around 700 characters (most of them built in Classic should it matter).

Opening character selection screen on GM side takes around 10 seconds.

Saving the campaign around 40 seconds (SSD, FG unresponsive during that time).

Save file 56 MB.

Most of the PCs have portraits, so that could add a bit of load time.

@ MrDDT: What ruleset are you using? It's possible the crunchy Paizo character sheets take up a bit more space.
    Last edited by stephan_; July 20th, 2021 at 20:35.

Quote Originally Posted by stephan_ View Post
    Just tested it out with a fresh campaign.

Summary: 500+ Starfinder characters causing FG to lag after opening Character selection and on save

Ruleset: Starfinder

New Campaign (with characters imported from Classic)

Extensions/Themes: N/A

Modules Loaded: N/A

Operating System / Language Setting: Windows 10 DE (AT)

Steps to Reproduce:

New (empty) SF campaign (no extensions, no modules loaded).

Imported around 700 characters (most of them built in Classic should it matter).

Opening character selection screen on GM side takes around 10 seconds.

Saving the campaign around 40 seconds (SSD, FG unresponsive during that time).

Save file 56 MB.

Most of the PCs have portraits, so that could add a bit of load time.

@ MrDDT: What ruleset are you using? It's possible the crunchy Paizo character sheets take up a bit more space.
    5E
    Reason for so many chars is because I run a large pick up server with tons of players that I use in the same campaign world as an ongoing world setting (sorta like west marches only 1 DM).

I think this could likely be fixed with an ext now noticing the problem. (not the save campaign) Where the char window opens only x amount per page like modules.

Thread Information