DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Was the FGU in app map tool nerfed a while back?

So, it was a couple months ago. But around that time I was building a map inside of FGU that was a bit on the large side. Perhaps about 30x60 squares, at about 128x128 pixels per square. I was going a big overboard with the map because this was intended to be for a charity stream so I wanted to go as great as I could on the presentation. All was working fine the day I was building on it last.

I then closed FGU down for the day, and a couple days later when I went to open it and work on it some more, it now lags hard. Like a minute of seizing up then I can sometimes get a click or two in before it seizes up again. I know it's the map causing it because if I lock the map, it all goes away. But the map is only about 80% finished right now. I will admit however that it has perhaps something like 300 tiles right now. In part because I wanted to avoid stretched distorted looking floors/rooms so the largest room for example is a 9x9 grid of floor tiles.

FGU is only using about 10% processor and less than 900mb of my 32gb of ram. And since it went from working fine, to a couple of days and an update later, to absolutely breaking, it seems to me whatever is choking it out is an artificial built-in limitation.

I have tried exporting the whole module, and moving it to another campaign, to get the same results. Lock the map and it's fine. Unlock it and it craps it's pants.

I've sent the module to a friend and, they get the same results.

This is happening with LOS and lighting disabled as well.

Now, I am trying to use the map assets I bought for FGU from the store here to make the map, so I am not to thrilled about the idea of being told to build the map outside of FGU since I literally paid for the assets to do this in app. But, is that going to be the choice I have to make? Either have horribly distorted maps or to make them outside of app now?

There has not been an update in about 4-5 weeks to the FGU client; so if the "update" was during that period, those updates were only DLC, not the application.

* What version of FGU did you make the map in? (Or when did you make it?)
    * Can you provide a copy of the campaign with the problematic image?
    * Did you use all official DLC assets, or did you use your own assets? (We'll need copies of any ones you used with the sample campaign for testing.)
    * Did you add LoS or lighting since you made the map?
    * How many tokens are on the map (originally and now)?

Thanks,
    JPG

1. I had originally started at the beginning of May. As in, worked on it the first two weeks of May then the lack seemed to strike around the middle of May.
    2. Here is a link to the test module I shared with a friend. https://drive.google.com/file/d/19s1...ew?usp=sharing
    3. All assets used are official in that they were purchased from the Fantasy Grounds store here, nothing used in the lagging map came from anywhere else.
    4. LOS and Lighting were added, but are currently disabled.
    5. There was originally 1 token on the map as I was learning LOS during the making of this map, there are now zero.

I've forwarded this thread to @cpinder to see what he can find.

JPG

Has anything been discovered?

Yes, the build currently in beta testing (v4.1.5) has some fixes to help with the issue you came across. It had to do with the large number of layers you had in the image data panel causing a slowdown. @cpinder rearranged some of the code to reduce updates, which has sped up that area with large number of layers (at least similar to what you have).

The beta test builds are noted in the Laboratory forum for a few weeks before considering for Live release.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information