5E Character Create Playlist

Numerical order within strings

In fantasy grounds unity, I have noticed on several occasions that when the program displays a collection of strings it tends to sort the list alphabetically as I would expect, but when it comes to a string with a number in it or appended to it, it goes numerically by the first digit rather than the total value of the number. To further explain what I mean, if I label my campaigns "campaign 1" through to "campaign 9" they appear correctly but then if I add a new campaign and call it "campaign 10" it will place that campaign above "campaign 1", rather than below "campaign 9".

This behaviour is also present in the turn order when multiple creatures have numbers appended to their name "kobold 1" all the way to "kobold 9" display in the correct order, but then "kobold 10" would appear at the top of the stack and yet underneath "kobold 1". This is a little confusing, if this is intended functionality.

In the grand scheme this is "small potatoes" but I felt the need to mention it anyway.

This is standard programmatical string ordering, it's not specific to Fantasy Grounds. If you want numbers within string to order correctly, put a 0 in front on 1-9 = 01, 02, 03, ... 09, 10, 11, 12, etc..
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Maybe appended numbering for NPC's could use the leading zero method to help address this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lavoiejh View Post
    Maybe appended numbering for NPC's could use the leading zero method to help address this issue.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by lavoiejh View Post
    Um, what issue? As soon as you roll initiative they’ll be all over the place.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

It automatically rolls initiative when you drag a creature into the turn order; I prefer to run all my creatures of the same type with the same initiative score anyway, so they stack up like this.
    As I said, it's not really a real problem as much as much as it is a quirk of my ADHD haha

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Um, what issue? As soon as you roll initiative they’ll be all over the place.
    It's an issue if you're using grouped initiative, or haven't rolled initiative. It's also just plain counter-intuitive

If this is an actual issue for you I'd suggest adding it to the wishlist - that way the devs will see it. Link in my signature (the numbering on the CT I mean).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Thread Information