FG Spreadshirt Swag

Possible Line-of-Sight and map sharing bug found

Hello,

my players have encountered blank/black map in about every session with FGU. Usually one or two players have this client-side problem per session. Today I tested maps sharing with one of my player and we are able to demostrate and reproduce the same black screen-map problem several times a row and with any map we tried. It seems that when you open fifth LOS map and GM share the fift map is always black to client-side IF client user have four other LOS-maps open. If GM disable LOS from map, magically map is shown, but if enabled again map goes black again. Only solution to fix this is close one or more maps in background (client-side) and reopen map. Lighting does nothing so this seems to be the problem with number of maps open and LOS. GM resharing map or closing map does nothing too, so it seems it's a clent-side problem/bug.

We used five stock battlemaps with line-of-sight to test it. Every time fifth shared map was black. Player did not closed old maps...

[7/14/2021 6:17:57 PM] NETWORK SEND FILE REQUEST: BattleMap_Cave01.jpg@FG Battle Maps
    [7/14/2021 6:18:12 PM] NETWORK SEND FILE REQUEST: BattleMap_Cave02.jpg@FG Battle Maps
    [7/14/2021 6:18:20 PM] NETWORK SEND FILE REQUEST: BattleMap_Cave03.jpg@FG Battle Maps
    [7/14/2021 6:18:33 PM] NETWORK SEND FILE REQUEST: BattleMap01.jpg@FG Battle Maps
    [7/14/2021 6:18:39 PM] NETWORK SEND FILE REQUEST: BattleMap02.jpg@FG Battle Maps

So last BattleMap02.jpg@FG Battle Maps is black.

This is easy to test it and duplicate! I (GM) used drag-and-drop token from combat tracker every time.

We usually have at least three maps open. One general area map, then sometimes another area map. Sometimes something happens in two different floor (and maps) so it's very easy to have more than four maps open in client side, so this happens very often. Finally we found why this happen only in 'few random' client. It's because some of our player are not closing the last maps when GM share another map.

So map needs to have LOS enabled. Not sure if shared pictures are counted (probably not, because they have LOS disable by default).

Here are few screenshots. These are from earlier test (my own maps), but in test purpose I wanted to check if the problem is in plain battle maps without any assets. And it seems that even stock battlemaps with simple JPG + LOS will generate same black map results every time we tested this.

Edit: Funny thing is that if 6th map is shared it actually work fine, but not the 5th.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DerSavage; July 14th, 2021 at 17:18.

I'm unable to reproduce this - I stopped at 10 maps shared without encountering any issues. Are you using any extensions? Does this happen in a new campaign without extensions? What ruleset? Perhaps add the DM and client log files to your post.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I would also be suspicious of the client running out of memory. It would probably be good to find out the client specifications as well as even watching the client performance (performance manager or task manager etc) during the session. They may simple have no more memory to open a fifth image (or might e going ito swamp causing big delays).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yes, we have some extensions (Shops, world bulger and Investigator) and we are using DND5. I haver 16 Gb memory and discord and FGU is only using like 6 Gb, so memory seems. fine. I can gather some logs if necessary. We have so far tested this with to computer, we can check for more too. It's odd that if you shre 6th map, this is shown, but not the 5th. All maps need be open on client side. And maps need to have LOS enabled too.

We tested this second time this time with another computer (and GM) no extentions. Again after five maps they goes blank, this time I was also clients side and again 5th map was blank for me. Here are logs from client side. I can test more and create logs for DM side too, if necessaty.

Logs (client) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1arH...ew?usp=sharing

Edit: one more thing. For each map GM drag pc token to map. We even tested two clients, so one ison 4th map second 5th. So when GM share map another client see everything (4th map) and second client 5th map is black. We can test this tomorrow with new campaign
    Last edited by DerSavage; July 14th, 2021 at 22:41.

I didn't see any others in the logs on the client. Can you provide a zipped up copy of the campaign folder, as well as the exact steps for opening all the maps to see the issue? (i.e. open Images list and open directly; GM opens and use right click menu to share, etc.) The more detailed the steps are, the more likely we can see what you are seeing.

Regards,
    JPG

I made some more tests to see if this is extensions or campaign. So I created fresh DND5 campaign. Just basic D&D rules modules loaded. Created a new test.
    I used FGU Ultimate to GM side and logged with same computer with client-side to test this. Earlier I was able to create same black map with this and with another user logged (LAN / internet). I created testplayer, created six battlemaps from FGU battlemaps. Disable lighting (to avoid light causing black). After sharing maps and dropping player to new map each time (from combat tracker) this time 5th map was black in client side (and GM preview black too). As a GM-side a disabled Line-of-Sight in map settings and only after that player-client sees the map. So I closed client two maps, realoded images that same problem cavemap2 and now it is working (because I closed client side other maps). So it seems it's 5 or 6 maps, but I can create the same issue. So for each map there are a token, then dropped token to new map from combat tracker (no dragging from map-to-map). And GM shared map with right click.

Here are screenshots for each step. And logs from bothside client and GM (these are same computer, no not sure if they are the same...).

Here are all screenshots and logs in one zip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_EP...ew?usp=sharing

Steps I made:

1) New fresh campaign, only D&D V5 modules loaded
    2) created TestPlayer client-side
    3) GM create six battlemaps: BattleMap 01, 02, 02 and BattleMap_Cave 01, 02 and 03. Disabled lighting in maps.
    4) GM: TestPlayer to Combat Tracker, dropped from CT to map. map01 working.
    5) GM: Dragged (from CT) TestPlayer to map02 and GM shared map02 with right click. working
    6) GM: Dragged (from CT) TestPlayer to map03 and GM shared map03 with right click. working
    7) GM: Dragged (from CT) TestPlayer to cavemap01 and GM shared cavemap01 with right click. working
    8) GM: Dragged (from CT) TestPlayer to cavemap02 and GM shared cavemap02 with right click. NOT WORKING, client side is BLACK. This is 5th shared map.
    9) GM: Disabled map Line-of-Sight -> map is shown and it's later updated to client side and shows map
    10) Player-side. Automatically after few seconds map is shown, no more black
    11) GM: Enabled LOS again in map. After few seconds player client-side map is black again...
    12) Screenshot of Windows 10 memory useage (taskbar)
    13) Player-side. Closed older map01. GM shared map again - still black in client side.
    14) Player-side. Closed cave02 map (the problem map). Player opened IMAGES-> Uncategorize maps and loaded Cave02 map. Now cavemap02 is WORKING!
    15) GM: But still Cave02 map shows playerpreview black. But player-client sees everything.

01 GM New campaign basic modules loaded.JPG
    02 GM Created six battle maps.JPG
    03 Player-Client side 5th map not working, client side BLACK.JPG
    04 GM side - player preview shows black, no lighting enabled.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DerSavage; July 15th, 2021 at 16:19.

Here's the missing 05 screenshot from player/client side.This shows black map with token.

05 Player-Client side - black shared map.JPG

Tested even giving token a torch, but nothing (of course, because lighting was disabled)

Great Work DerSavage, I was able to recreate this.

Thanks for the specific details. I was able to narrow down a bit; and create an example campaign for @cpinder to test against.

Note: I was not able to recreate if Lighting toggle left on for images, and PC was given a torch light in CT.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information