STAR TREK 2d20

Function visiblity and data

Hello everyone.
    After a break due to work, I resumed experimenting and studying FGU. I have two questions to you who
    are much more experienced than I am.

Question 1
    I found a way to override a function, which is to regenerate it with the same name and use super. to
    recall the old version without having to completely rewrite it. This way I can afford to add my own
    code while continuing to keep the function updated if CoreRPG (for example) updates it.

Code:
    function A()
    	super.A();
    	... my code
    end
    The operation should correspond to that shown in the figure below
    (blue -> old version - yellow -> new version).
    Immagine1.png

The problem I have, however, arises when the old version of Func A calls Func B. In this case the behavior
    it seems to me corresponds to this.
    Immagine2.png

I would like this instead.
    Immagine3.png

Do you think is there a way to get it? The only solution I find is to completely overwrite ()copy) the
    old function without calling it, and I don't like it.

Question 2
    The ruleset I'm trying to experiment on is full of data. I have inserted all data in special LUAs with
    functions to extract the info I need. But what if I also want to create a manual? Should I replicate
    the data in the relative XML or can I use a data extraction function (perhaps automatically generating
    a table, if I need it)?

Question 1: It all depends on how the old version of Function A calls Function B. If it calls it via a global script name <GlobalScript>.<function name> then you can override the function in the global script package. If it calls it within it's own scope, then there's not much you can do - other than replicating similar code in your new function A.

Question 2: It's best to put data in a module. Things like tables and other records that are accessed by users are best created in a module, not generated from LUA in a ruleset. You'll need to create a module for your reference manual and it's also recommended to put other usable data records in a module.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Tnx for your answers.

Question 1: function B is called in the middle of old function A. Take utility\scrips\ponter_selection_v4.lua. In this file you'll find updateColors function.
    As you can see some other function call it, so if I write a new version of updateColors i can add my code and call older version, but onInit() will still call
    the older version.
    I think the only solution is to replicate the file... I'm not happy. Each new version force me to verify and replicate it again, if needed.

Question 2: so my idea to throw all data in LUAs is an error? Good (not so much ) to know.
    Ok, I'll have to migrate in XML

Quote Originally Posted by Xarxus View Post
    I think the only solution is to replicate the file...
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarxus View Post
    Question 2: so my idea to throw all data in LUAs is an error?
    If you're building records that populate in the sidebar buttons, yes that's not a good idea.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Nope, I was defining LUA tables for races, classes and so on. So, I think is better to translate them in XML.

Ty 4 all

Thread Information