STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Extension for weapon critical effects

Ahoi.

Is there any extension free or paid that allows for critical (weapon) hits to apply automatic effects and/or extra damage? Or can this already be implemented with core tools (Pathfinder 2 ruleset)?

Thanks in advance!

You can check out my Nat20 extension (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/161/view). It adds new critical types "normalcrit", "nat20", "supercrit" that can be used as damage types. So, if you wanted to do an extra 1d8 fire damage on a normal critical hit (a hit roll within the actor's crit range), you could add "DMG: 1d8 normalcrit,fire" as either an effect or as a weapon damage.

Likewise, if you want to do an extra 14 damage on a nat20 (like a sword of sharpness), you'd add "DMG: 14 nat20" to the weapon damage or as an effect.

It only works for 5E though, but I could look into making it PF2 compatible...

It works great, I've used it for a long time TheoGeek.

I created an extension for this in 3.5/PF1: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/84/view
    You can restrict effects to being on crit only, but it doesn't support extra damage on crit. I can see about adding PF2 compatibility, but I'm not familiar with the UI for that ruleset.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take another look at them. I already looked at Nat20 once, but I feat that it applies its own logic on when a crit happens? Or does it react to crits as defined by the corresponding ruleset?

Same question about On Hit Effect? And how do you define effects to be on crit only? No extra damage on crit is a problem, though. Pathfinder 2 has various weapon effects that happen only on a crit, including extra damage sometimes, but also things like sending a target prone.

And Pathfinder 2 defines crits differently than other D20 based systems. The ruleset already handles these things, so any extension following the ruleset should work fine, I guess?!

Nat20 uses the ruleset for critical hits and adds a Nat20 type for if a 20 is rolled.

For the code minded - it keeps track of the attack roll to see if it was in the crit range of the actor and calls that a "normal critical", and calls a 20 a "nat 20". It then parses the rRoll structure and checks for "critical" damage text on the damage types (added by the ruleset) and any of the custom critical types "normalcrit", "nat20", or "supercrit" to see if that damage should be excluded from the damage computation based on the attack roll.

I'm not familiar with the PF2 ruleset, but since I don't mess with the way the damage roll structure is created by the ruleset, but instead modify it after the ruleset creates it and remove damage clauses that don't apply, it *should* work.

In Pathfinder 2 a critical hit is a roll that is 10 higher than the difficulty check (DC), this includes things like armor class (AC). So there are no crit ranges, you either hit 10+ higher than the DC or you do not.

Furthermore a natural 20 is *not* an automatic crit, it only increases the success level by one. Most of the time this turns normal hits into crits, but it could just as well turn a failure into a normal hit instead (if a roll of 20 still is not enough to beat the normal DC).

So if an extension adds its own crit logic this likely is going to cause issues.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; August 25th, 2021 at 18:06.

Nat20 doesn't add it's own crit logic - it parses the damage rolls created by the ruleset and based on the custom types that the user adds to the damage clause on the weapon or effect, string replaces the damage type so the ruleset will either include it in the computation or exclude it from the computation.

If you are comfortable modifying extensions, you could just force it as-is to use the PF2 ruleset and see if it works. Just don't use the "Nat20" type.

Nat20 does not change what is considered a critical hit, it only modifies what damage clauses are included (based on the critical damage type that the user added to the weapon or effect) if the ruleset determines a critical hit was rolled.

Honestly though, for your case, you could probably do it natively in the ruleset by just adding the tag "critical" to any damage you want. The 5E ruleset handles this natively and will not include any damage with a "critical" tag on it if the roll is not a critical roll.

But again, I'm not familiar with the guts of how PF2 works.

Similar to TheoGeek I'm not doing any logic to calculate a crit, just relying on the ruleset to flag an attack as a crit. One note for mine though is it specifically triggers on the damage portion of an attack since if all the damage is prevented, no secondary effects should be applied in 3.5/PF1

Quote Originally Posted by SoxMax View Post
    One note for mine though is it specifically triggers on the damage portion of an attack since if all the damage is prevented, no secondary effects should be applied in 3.5/PF1
    Ooh...I should check that in my extension. I *think* it would work that way, and if not, I need to fix that.

Thread Information